Have you modified your eating habits after you moved to the island?

Hello everyone

I actually did, after I tasted Mangù with onion rings sauce for breakfast I have lost many pounds and feel more healthy as it replaced the bread. The pastel de hojas, baked sweet potato, sancocho, fritos ( fried plantain) are also some local aliments that I enjoy a lot.

Please share with us if you have any preference in particular for one of these, or other Dominican food specialties.

Cheers : )

I agree on the Mangu, testones (fried plantains), good old rice and beans,  Pollo carbon, sancocho, Ayuma soup, chivo guisado and the list goes on and on

Bob K

I lost a lot of weight here.  I went from weighing 262 lbs and benchpressing 205 lbs (so basically very fat and out of shape) to weighing 180 lbs and benchpressing 275 lbs.  Some of that is gym time and I do hit the gym hard but a lot of it is cutting out the sugar.  A lot of the sweet stuff I used to love can't be found easily here or isn't the same so I have cut a lot of it out.  Big difference.  So yes I did change my eating habits for the better.

I eat a lot more fresh foods then I did before. I love tostones and pastelon  but refuse to eat white rice and beans. Yuck and soooo not good for you. 

I agree with the comment that a lot of the convenience foods are not available here or are bloody expensive so we pass them up.   

Pollo carbon -  one of my personal favorites!!!!  I do pass up all the fried foods (except tostones)

I agree with the fried foods but find it hard sometimes to pass on fried pescado entero

Bob K

Yes Bob that is one I will break the rule for occasionally too!

Have to say I have the best mother in law of the world, the other day I said - I wish we could have sancocho soon, and the next day we had it, ahhh it was delicious! She got all the credits as she didn't let the empleada ( house keeping girl ) do it. : )))

yes everything I like my wife won't let me eat. I can't smoke, I can't drink, She forces me to eat 100% Dominican food.. I are what I eat????? so yes my eating habits have changed hahaha.

watch your spelling Bob. I'm sure that you don't mean "mountain oysters"!

skip the rice, eat the beans, sooo good for you.

Sorry  Gypsy don't follow you on the spelling comment.

Beans are only good if you are NOT diabetic and not predisposed to being diabetic.  That is an issue here  huge incidence of diabetes with little or no treatment and lots and lots of white rice and white bread.  Yuckkkkk.....

Apparently though the beans here are awesome!

Actually beans are fine in moderation for diabetics.  Rice, and wheat not so much.

Recently the government announced that 11% of the adult population are undiagnosed diabetics and I think this number is very low from what I have seen.

I too do not understand the spelling comment.  Though I do wish there was a spell check on this site.

Bob K

So true Bob,  everything is ok in moderation....LOL   My comment was directed really at the daily consumption of massive plates of white rice covered in beans......  Eeeeyuckkkk.  But that is my personal taste.

I read the stats on diabetes here and I know it is way under reported.   Wayyyyyyy  under the actual numbers.

Spell check - I am sure that would be really tough with all the languages on this site.....  but worth asking honey.

Not really. the biggest change was in the fact that the ingredients in the DR are of such better quality,  The produce, pork & chicken are so much better.   No hormones, pesticides & all organic produce have such full & richer taste. As a chef & restaurant owner I've had extensive expeirience in many places.  The DR is the best I have ever found.   Having prepared, served & eaten foods of many cultures, the available foods have allowed me to experiment to my hearts content.  The purity of product has  given freedom to my creative spirit.  The local dishes have inspired me, fed my body & soul.   Words fail to express completely the joys of the Dominican culture & food. I sing praises to the skies for the opportunity to enjoy my newfound  pleasures. Never have fear to try new foods.  If you don't like it, don't eat it. Do not deny yourself of life's adventures.   As I often say, there is no such thing as a mistake... unless you repeat it....... & life is not a dress rehearsal !  Go for it, you'll never have another chance.   Oh, by the way, I don't care for tripe.   Eat well, all you all.

Planner,  ask Bob, I'm sure he got it.

Actually Bob stated he didn't get it either!

As for no additives pesticides hormones etc...... if you are buying from local small producer then maybe but it's not the case if you are buying mass produced here.  There are exceptions but very few.  In order to compete on price they must produce efficiently.

He spelled it tost....  it should be test.......   tostosterone   (sp) refers to male hormone,  relates to balls, hence to mountain oysters, a western delicacy....  bulls testicles.  having lived in Colorado, I thought Bob would get it.  Hope this clears up  his gaff.  If not,  the sun shall still rise in the morning.

Thanks  Gyspsy at least now I know what went right over my head....

Certainly slept through that one :D

Bob K