Skype? Is it the best thing to use to call abroad?

Hi, I should be moving to Riyadh soon and I was wonering whether skype is really the best thing to call home.
So you need a webcam right? The person on the other end would also need a webcam..? And its completely free...unless the other person isn't on skype?! Which means they would charge...phew!! Thats my understanding anywayz

you can use Skype with or without a webcam if you choose audio and video or audio only, respectively.

yes, its absolutely free but its from skype to skype.

everyone uses it extensively here

You could also try Google Talk it has voice and video connectivity. Or if you have an Android phone there is also Fring which is free on a wifi connection to another Fring user.

Skype works well here even with a slow connection.

I have used skype extensively in whatever Country I am in - it has saved me an absolute fortune in telephone calls over the years.  To use skype in Riyadh has been very efficient and effective with minimal downtime problems also.  However, with the webcam in operation it can slow things down considerably sometimes if the bandwith is on the slow train.  When that happens, I simply go skype without webcam or just use the messaging bit.  Would highly recommend skype.:top:

Its also cheap skype to landline, (almost local call cost) I use it lots, as others have said it can be slow camera to camera..

kzm40 wrote:

Its also cheap skype to landline, (almost local call cost) I use it lots, as others have said it can be slow camera to camera..

I use skype a lot to call landlines in the States and it only costs something like $8/mo.  Quality is usually good, too.

I also have a magic jack, but the quality is like the old days with cell phones when you were constantly yelling, 'what?? what??"  However, the advantage to the magic jack is having a US number and friends can call me and it acts like voice mail in my email box!

Alliecat wrote:
kzm40 wrote:

I use skype a lot to call landlines in the States and it only costs something like $8/mo.  Quality is usually good, too.

I also have a magic jack, but the quality is like the old days with cell phones when you were constantly yelling, 'what?? what??"  However, the advantage to the magic jack is having a US number and friends can call me and it acts like voice mail in my email box!

I believe you can do all that in skype now, I've not tried it so can't really comment.. But skype's a life saver for me...