Riyadh Road Runners - is anyone here a member?

Hi guys & gals - thought to check with you - I am thinking of joining Riyadh Road Runners as Ian & I run regularly.  He is an experienced runner, as with a lot of South African's, able to run incredible distances.  But little old me is simply a 5 - 10k regular.

I see there will be a 5k run coming up soon and it will be on our Compound!

Do any of you run for fun?  Now, keep the responses kindly please :) LOL

I run when I see the mutawa coming.. does that count?
:lol::lol::lol:

Alliecat wrote:

LOL - I knew it, here they come :D:D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:  Of course you do!

beep! beep!

smart Alliecat... :)

@gowiththeflowUK just invite us to witness this fun run in your compound.

Run and fun is that not a misnomer? :D

MaserMan wrote:

Run and fun is that not a misnomer? :D

@mm2Exactly!
@FunkDG - you gotta be kidding - why would you even wish to see me spluttering over the finish line:/!  May invite you all to the knees up after though - in celebration of the achievement of course :)

OK, what's the deal here - I know there are avid Golfers (and, please do not go there again!), tennis enthuiasts, table tennis fanatics, now you know there is at least one runner - what else does this group do to keep themselves fit (now - I eagerly await with baited breath the answers and whilst I have no expectation of the retorts being 'clean' I know they will be interesting) :)

you will also have all noticed by now - my brain works quicker than my fingers which does not bode well for good spelling and grammar - so the teachers amoungst you - please do not mark my work :|

Alliecat wrote:

HAHAHAHA:lol::lol::lol:  lmlo..........gawd!!!!!! I am not sure this running thing but since i dun feel liking covering my head so i start my brisk :D

Alliecat wrote:

Why? Are you guilty of being immoral?

You should run back to the US then

Wile E Coyote must be a Mutawa inside?

Palmolive wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

If you don't have a sense of humor, you should run right out of this forum then.

Alliecat wrote:
Palmolive wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

If you don't have a sense of humor, you should run right out of this forum then.

:top::top::top:

I'm sure many Saudi's do not consider it humorous when foreigners, particularly those who have come to their country, insult and ridicule their religious customs (as is prevalent on this forum, which otherwise I find very beneficial). The work of the Mutawwa', despite their shortcomings and occasional faults, is respected by religious Saudi's and Muslims. 'Freedom to insult' or as it is referred to in the West, 'freedom of speech', is not accepted here.

Where did that come from?

This is gonna be good... :whistle:

Palmolive wrote:

I'm sure many Saudi's do not consider it humorous when foreigners, particularly those who have come to their country, insult and ridicule their religious customs (as is prevalent on this forum, which otherwise I find very beneficial). The work of the Mutawwa', despite their shortcomings and occasional faults, is respected by religious Saudi's and Muslims. 'Freedom to insult' or as it is referred to in the West, 'freedom of speech', is not accepted here.

Oh, here we go - what is all this 'Pomp & Ceremony' about lately; really starting to dampen the good humour (which is a key coping mechanism when away from familiar cultural environment, family & friends); but also dampen the ability to speak about things.  I am quite curious that someone noting himself as an 'Expat' is chosing to speak for the Saudi's - and then in the same breath talk about free speech and freedom of speech.  I am sure our Saudi brothers & sisters are quite capable of speaking for themselves - as this site so clearly proves.  Lighten up Palmolive.

Palmolive wrote:

Excuse me, but SAUDI's aren't supposed to be on this blog because they are not EXPATS.  If you choose to be on this forum, you must make yourself 'fit in' with the expats (just like we have to do everyday with Saudi's when in their space).

And until Julien tells us otherwise, freedom of speech IS accepted HERE.

Hey... I just found a pic that pertains both to the TOPIC (oh yeah, that lol) AND the forum reaction to trolls.

http://i49.tinypic.com/24qmsdu.jpg

Alliecat wrote:

Hey... I just found a pic that pertains both to the TOPIC (oh yeah, that lol) AND the forum reaction to trolls.

[img align=l]http://i49.tinypic.com/24qmsdu.jpg[/url]

:D Spot on!

I am not a Saudi, I am an expat! Having been here for a few years I guess I get a little peeved when I hear another expat insulting a religious custom/practice/hijab/lengthy beard etc.

This is an outwardly religious country, you don't have to respect it, just tolerate it. Freedom of speech is absolutely fine, freedom to insult is not.

BTW I'm new on this forum and I do find the information here quite decent, much better than britishexpats.com :D

Have you ever heard the phrase "rain on the parade"?  In addition, I really am an american and we are tolerant people.

Palmolive wrote:

I am not a Saudi, I am an expat! Having been here for a few years I guess I get a little peeved when I hear another expat insulting a religious custom/practice/hijab/lengthy beard etc.

This is an outwardly religious country, you don't have to respect it, just tolerate it. Freedom of speech is absolutely fine, freedom to insult is not.

BTW I'm new on this forum and I do find the information here quite decent, much better than britishexpats.com :D

Has it occured to you that joking (and if you thought what I said was an insult rather than a harmless joke [and, incidentally, I've heard SAUDI'S joke about mutowa], you seriously need a holiday) is a harmless way for us to let off steam and release stress in an environment that makes it very difficult to do this?

As for this forum being better than britishexpats.com, has it occurred to you that perhaps this is because a fun, light-hearted place (unlike our current reality) is able to attract and retain knowledgeable people who participate and share what they know?

Palmolive wrote -
I'm sure many Saudi's do not consider it humorous when foreigners, particularly those who have come to their country, insult and ridicule their religious customs (as is prevalent on this forum, which otherwise I find very beneficial).

Excuse me, but we may whine and moan about life here occasionally but I have never seen anything that I have considered to be insulting or has ridiculed their religious customs. You either swim or sink, the vast majority of us are doing our best to swim against the tide of bias here.
The Saudis that I work with are paid more but can refuse to do the work that we are all contracted to do. So the expats are expected to cover for them while they sit and chat. But hey, it stops us getting bored. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Have a nice day.

ps, Palmolive, do you work out here or here with your husband?

Just catching up after a couple of days away and find the comments by soapy. Really am getting fed up with this holier than thou attitude.

Can we not ban people for a month or so and let them cool their jets and if they do it again lifetime ban!

I know a lot of Saudi's, some for over 10 years and none of them have ever preached to me, then again they are educated!

If speech was free then why do we have to pay telephone bills?

Maserman, these are the trolls we were talking about - they get you worked up and angry. Try ignore them.

Diverting the waters into a different ocean helps to cool the environment

Humm, why not get back to the original question? oh yeah, about running or jogging. Yep I'm interested in jogging and doing some aerobics in the open air. the Roadrunners seem too much for me at this point; I need to get gradually in shape before jumping to the marathon style!
How do you people stay in shape? Is it "allowed" (or safe, for that matter) to jogging in the streets? Or is there a public sport place dedicated for jogging amateurs like me? cheers.
Max

Hi, Al Max!  I notice your profile is empty... can you tell us a bit about yourself, please?

As for running/jogging, many people go over to the Diplomatic Quarter where there is little danger of being run over.

I'd also like to know if its ok for a guy to jog in a pair of shorts on a public street or is it going to attract a lot of unwanted attraction?

I understand that jogging shorts worn on the street are frowned on, but I have on rare occasions seen a couple of guys out jogging in them anyway. 

Hubby goes jogging in the early morning round the local streets.  He tends to wear the long shorts for this purpose, not for culturual reasons, but because he can't fit the other ones - hence the jogging.

As for Go's question 'What else does this group do to keep themselves fit?'

I like to swim a few lengths now and then and a few months back found a ladies gym nearby that I go to 3 times a week.
I also walk round the local streets most early mornings - abaya flapping out behind me and all.

daredevil wrote:

I'd also like to know if its ok for a guy to jog in a pair of shorts on a public street or is it going to attract a lot of unwanted attraction?

I certainly wouldn't advise it.  The less attention one can draw to themselves the better.  Also this is where some of our local friends advice has been useful when they remind us that we are in a Country where the showing of flesh is not acceptable - so the more you can conduct things like running in private areas, the better.  If you join something like the Riyadh Road Runners you will make friends with people who live on Compounds and they can sign you in so you can run with them in private.

Good luck with your transfer to Riyadh, guess we will see you soon. :)

Publically, knees must be covered as well as upper body (ie. no tanktops!).

On a compound or in the DQ, it's a different story, however.

Al-Max wrote:

Humm, why not get back to the original question? oh yeah, about running or jogging. Yep I'm interested in jogging and doing some aerobics in the open air. the Roadrunners seem too much for me at this point; I need to get gradually in shape before jumping to the marathon style!
How do you people stay in shape? Is it "allowed" (or safe, for that matter) to jogging in the streets? Or is there a public sport place dedicated for jogging amateurs like me? cheers.
Max

Hi A1-Max, not sure about aerobics in the open air? Maybe someone else can help you there with info on a Gymnastic Club in Riyadh? 

You have the wrong impression of a Running Club, whilst yes, there can be some real bleep, bleep Road Runners (as with all clubs), it is also for the beginners and for those who just want to take part in the smaller runs (and do not race in their runs).  I am one of them, for example - my daily run on the Compound is around 5k - 7k; I tend to enter into runs up to 15k with the odd 21k thrown in (which is what I am currently training for); so it is not as rigid as you may think.

Street jogging or running (off Compound) is not encouraged here for a few reasons:  safety (security and very bad driving), the latter more likely to result in a runner being killed; and relgious & cultural laws of covering up skin

Hope this will help?  Good luck with your fitness:)

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

my daily run on the Compound is around 5k - 7k; .........

No chance that the wee beardies are going to catch you then :D

7K, Jeeeeeeeeeeez.
My vehicle does about 150K's every day.
Maybe I do around .25K walking within the office and home

MaserMan wrote:
gowiththeflowUK wrote:

my daily run on the Compound is around 5k - 7k; .........

No chance that the wee beardies are going to catch you then :D

Wee beardies :lol::lol::lol:

You mean the "Weebee's"?