Importing BIG dog to Vietnam from Canada - Need all the help!

Hello everyone,

We're moving to  Hanoi at the end of August, probably bringing our big dog with us (if such a thing is possible).
He's too big to travel as standard luggage. He will probably have to travel via cargo. Has anyone done this before? We got ridiculously high quotes from several agencies; I'm sure there's a cheaper way to do it (aside from leaving him back home).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Julie

Julie;
I would encourage you to bring the dog without having to go thru agencies. I had same experience trying to research & got quotes from agencies to bring my pet dog from Shanghai to HCMC. Quote was U$5,000 door-to-door, I ended up bring the dog with me on same flight costed less than $400.
There won't be any custom issue if you have the standard health check/shots/documents from Canada for your dog.
Cheers.

Where will you be staying in Ha Noi? May I ask the dogs age and how many kg?

JCODERRE wrote:

Hello everyone,

We're moving to  Hanoi at the end of August, probably bringing our big dog with us (if such a thing is possible).
He's too big to travel as standard luggage. He will probably have to travel via cargo. Has anyone done this before? We got ridiculously high quotes from several agencies; I'm sure there's a cheaper way to do it (aside from leaving him back home).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Julie

Just something you may need to look up on the Googles,if not already,is -
will you be permitted to take your dog BACK to Canada?
Vn has all sorts of parasites and diseases that Canada may not want in their country.

i don't recommend you bring your dog unless you got good security. Their is a risk it will be stolen and eaten.

Thanks for your reply, everyone!
I really have to think this out.
It's obvious that keeping him in Canada is the best thing to do. Just need to find him a nice house while we're away. :-/

bongolongo wrote:

i don't recommend you bring your dog unless you got good security. Their is a risk it will be stolen and eaten.

Really? I thought dog kidnapping was more frequent outside of Hanoi.

ABCABCABC wrote:

Julie;
I would encourage you to bring the dog without having to go thru agencies. I had same experience trying to research & got quotes from agencies to bring my pet dog from Shanghai to HCMC. Quote was U$5,000 door-to-door, I ended up bring the dog with me on same flight costed less than $400.
There won't be any custom issue if you have the standard health check/shots/documents from Canada for your dog.
Cheers.

Thanks for your reply! Problem is, he's too big for the cabin and we've been told that he'll suffocate in the cargo hold because it's too hot for animals, especially during summer months. Guess I'll have to find a company that specialize in pet relocation. But for the moment, we're working really hard to find someone back home to keep him for a year. Traveling with big dogs is not really a good option!

Adhome01 wrote:

We don't know yet where we'll be staying, most probably in the Tay Ho district. As for my dog, he's about 52 kg (just weighed him yesterday) and he's 5 years old. He's the smaller of our two dogs. :-)

dog steaks are popular everywhere in vietnam.

JCODERRE wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

We don't know yet where we'll be staying, most probably in the Tay Ho district. As for my dog, he's about 52 kg (just weighed him yesterday) and he's 5 years old. He's the smaller of our two dogs. :-)

At least 100k VND per Kg from a dog buyer,( no questions asked ), and 200K VND per kg by the time he's on a plate.

bluenz wrote:
JCODERRE wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

At least 100k VND per Kg from a dog buyer,( no questions asked ), and 200K VND per kg by the time he's on a plate.

bluenz, you have a dog... how do you keep him safe?

JCODERRE wrote:
bluenz wrote:
JCODERRE wrote:

bluenz, you have a dog... how do you keep him safe?

His name is " Mate ", and he's with me practically 24/7, especially at night, most dogs are stolen at night.

bluenz wrote:
JCODERRE wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

The OP needs to be leery of these types of questions. Glade to see someone got it. :)