Dependent Pass

Hello Everyone,

I need to apply for dependent pass for my wife to bring her on board to Malaysia but I have some doubts:

1. In certain articles I read that we need to get our marriage certificate attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, India before applying for DP. Whom should I approach for that? I'm in Malaysia and she is in India. It's very complicated. (My wife's passport has my name in column of 'Spouse's Name')

2. Is that a new rule that a expat with a salary below RM 5k can't get dependent pass? (My salary is 4700)
If yes, do we have any alternate?

3. Exactly how much would a dependent pass cost?

You are not entitled to an dependent pass with a base salary of RM4.7k - end of story. Nothing to do. She would need to get a job herself or enrol for tuition and apply for a student pass in her own right. Its not a new rule associated with Employment (Professional) passes. On Foreign Worker passes no dependents either at any salary.

It means she can arrive only if she gets a job here (Employment Pass) OR on student visa?

Yes, or on visit passes. A lot of people have been caught out with this lately because the salaries are going down in Malaysia to discourage foreigners trying to migrate here.

I recently got an offer to work in KL, Petaling Jaya area. I am being offered about RM 9k / month, no other allowances. I am married, wife & 2 year  baby. Can someone advise if this is a good offer and can i save some monve?

Apama - it sounds like a good offer, but you don't say what you do. You can probably save RM4-5k per month depending on how much your accommodation/utilities cost. If you want kindergarten and eventually school for your child, Kindy costs about RM600 per month and school from about RM1.7k per month