Transferring A Work Permit

I am considering breaking my contract for another offer and am wondering how that will affect my work permit. Will I have to re-do all of the paperwork or can the name of the employer just be changed? Thanks for any insight into this.

melinda13 wrote:

I am considering breaking my contract for another offer and am wondering how that will affect my work permit. Will I have to re-do all of the paperwork or can the name of the employer just be changed? Thanks for any insight into this.

Just been through all the BS with changing employment, but the school reneged on my contract, not me, at first my new employer was reluctant to employ me because I was still under contract, but once it was explained , no problem.
After I visited the So Lao Dong, ( Labour Dept ). That'd might be your best option. They said they would just change the name on the contract, not sure how " official " that was though. ( 2 months left on it ).

You work for the employer A, they register a work permit for you to work in their company (A)
If you move to company B, the work-permit is no-longer valid and you have to ask the company B to support you to register for another work-permit (B), mean "re-do" as you said

"They said they would just change the name on the contract" <== No, it's not true. You could not just change the name from A to B in the work-permit.

Cheers!

khuyen.le-minh wrote:

You work for the employer A, they register a work permit for you to work in their company (A)
If you move to company B, the work-permit is no-longer valid and you have to ask the company B to support you to register for another work-permit (B), mean "re-do" as you said

"They said they would just change the name on the contract" <== No, it's not true. You could not just change the name from A to B in the work-permit.

Cheers!

That's why I said I didn't know how " official " that was, but I have a feeling this women in the Labour Dept office knows the manager at the school quite well, so she said they will just " change " the work Permit, not issue me a new one as I thought they were supposed to do, ( only 2 months left on it ).

In your case, seem "personal networking" helps :D

But please always prepare a plan B when using personal relationship with guys in government because tomorrow they might not remember what they tell you today

Agree with khuyen.
Your WP was applied and obtained by your current company to work for them. When your company reject you or you resign from the same, it will be invalid legally. Your current employer should cancel your WP in order to get another one by your next company.

:) She did nothing but talk  :)
In paper, still you are working for old employer :)
(yeah, because of 2 months)

bluenz wrote:

That's why I said I didn't know how " official " that was, but I have a feeling this women in the Labour Dept office knows the manager at the school quite well, so she said they will just " change " the work Permit, not issue me a new one as I thought they were supposed to do, ( only 2 months left on it ).

Note that work permit should be sponsored by employer.  If you change employer, all documents need to be changed or the employer need to apply work permit in Vietnam for you again.  Cheers, Jenny

charmavietnam wrote:

:) She did nothing but talk  :)
In paper, still you are working for old employer :)
(yeah, because of 2 months)

bluenz wrote:

I was actually calling the new school's bluff, I knew they were lying, but they still continued to blame the Labour Dept, and told me how much they " will always respect me ", lol.  but after my visit to the Labour Dept, ( which they never expected me to do ),  it was only going to be a matter of changing the SCHOOL'S name on the Permit for the 2 months, not my name, and was as good as a done deal, until the new school wouldn't reply or even get in contact with the Labor Dept. 
But I didn't have any intentions of working for them after the 1 st month of being stuffed around, ( they asked me to produce a teaching program for Viet/English prounounciation, for their teachers and students ), I just wanted to catch them out. ( They probably have a Filipino working for them now, like most of the other schools in this city ).
Yes, Jenny, legally a Work permit can't be changed, (  a new Permit has to be issued ), but rules will be bent.