Shall or Shall I Not take a Job with Adveti

Hi Everyone. I have recieved a teaching Job offer from Adveti and am due to start in August 2015. I was wondering if I Should take the Job? I've read some Horror Stories in some Forums and have started to feel very scared and Nervous  now. If I do take a plunge and get messed about there I won't be able to leave. My main worry is that my son starts his A LEVELS in the UAE this year and I can't afford a disruption in his studies, I'm a single Parent... Any positives and Negatives will really help as I only have a few weeks to go. Kind Regards.

Take the plunge. Its always the horror stories that get published by people not happy for whatever reason.

Got to be the worst place I have ever worked. The quality of the teaching staff makes a big difference to the quality of learning that takes place. Where I work, teachers provide answers to the exams that the students will take, give help during the exams and then falsify the scores on the exams to ensure that the students pass. Not a reflection on the students themselves, just that some of the teachers are so poor at teaching that they need to do this. If you can live with that, you will have no problems working at ADVETI. Oh, and these are native speakers in the English department.

Hi Babzi

1. You are not alone regarding having to stay in Adveti for a while once you get there, because if you do not complete your initial contract you will have to pay back the relocation allowance.

2. You need to know why you are going to the UAE.  If, for example it is because you really need the money, then that can serve as a motivation to get through even a difficult job.

3.  There are several Adveti institutes and your degree of 'happiness'; will depend usually on whether or not you get on with/like the management.  You will find that the students are fine.    Some institutes have 'better' management than others.  That is a fact.   You could always ask to be transferred to a different institute when you have completed probation.

4.  The money is good.   Remember that.

All the best

Hi Calculator

Everyone has different experiences at Adveti depending on where they work and who they work with.

Personally I have not worked with anyone who gives answers to students before exams or who helps them during exams.  I have also worked with non native speakers.

Adveti teachers get a lot of PD training and regular observations.  You cannot really get away with not doing a good job, in my experience, or you will get fired.

Hi Subudi,
The advice that you gave to Babzi about the conditions at the various institutes was spot on. Money can sometimes be the redeeming feature.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with some of your comments in your latest post. At the ADVETI institute where I work there are 2 observations during your probation which are unannounced. Once you have passed probation there is only one observation each year and the timing of this is agreed between the teacher and the proposed observer.

We do not receive any PD training. Each week one teacher is required to address the teaching staff with any topic of their choice. This is not necessary about teaching. One given presentation was about how to become wealthy!!

The teacher who relies on giving the answers to students may be in a minority, however, despite knowing about his unprofessional approach to teaching, management are reluctant to do anything.   

Sounds like I should join your campus!