Employment Pass/Visa for Malaysia

Hello Experts,

I need some guidance about the work permit in Malaysia. Could anybody can give the steps to obtain the work permit. Employer has to initiate the work permit? What we need to do from our end once we receive the offer letter from Malaysian Company in order to get the visa?

Thanks for the help! :)

Regards,
Kush

Either you are required to go to the Malaysian High Commission nearest you and get the visa with reference inserted into your passport which allows you to enter Malaysia (instead of getting a tourist visa). Some companies ask you to arrive with a tourist visa. Once in Malaysia the company sends your passport for processing and having the sticker inserted. This can take 2 days to 2 weeks depending on how it is done and the backlog at immigration.

This is the process for both the employment pass (salary of RM5k or above) or the foreign worker pass. The difference being the FW pass you cannot arrive in Malaysia without the visa with reference and you need a medical once you arrive as well (blood tests and chest x-ray etc.). There is no minimum salary but the person needs to be 18-45 years of age.

The process requires the company to get permission to hire a foreigner and not many companies have the ability to do this. It is therefore important not to just come on a tourist visa without proof that they can hire you from immigration. You should not pay any money at any stage to get an employment pass. For the FW pass you will often find the employer expects you to pay everything yourself after arrival - but don't pay anything before you get to Malaysia as there are lots of job scams in Malaysia. The applications for FW pass and medical are now online so it should be better.

HI Gravitas,

Thank you for your response and information.

Thanks,
Kush

Hi
The company is initiating the process indeed, and needs to hold a certain status to apply for it.
What kind of jobs are you interested in? Some have simplified procedures and will be faster than others.
Count 4-6 months to get a work permit. (1 to 5 years, renewable), I speak of experience.
Cheers,
Adrien

Hi Kush,
If you are offered employment by any Malaysian company, first thing they have to do is apply for a work permit.If you come in as a tourist, you are allowed to stay for only one month maximum and you are not suppose to work. Please check with your company about your legality to work and documentation. If you need our assistance you can ask your company to contact us.

Regards,
Harry

Hi, Can anybody tell me,If i fly to Malaysia on visit pass and it can convert in one or two year long stay visa?

faisal 73 - yes you can if you get a job offer.

There are no long term residency visas here in Malaysia except the Malaysia my Second Home programme (10 years - but you need a lot of cash to qualify) and if you are married to a Malaysian (can only start 6 months after wedding). .