Travel advice

Hi! I'm living in Jakarta but I want to make a trip to Phuket in February.  I'm hoping to fly into Phuket to spend a couple days.  Then trek towards Penang to fly out, stopping in Krabi on the way.  5-6 days in total.
I'd like some advice about good hostels, must see sights, transportation advice etc.
Thanks!

Hey, what`s situation in Jakarta now? We have just heard about Tsunami in Indonesia, quite worried about it...

The tsunami hit really small coastal villages in Aceh and Sumatra. It hasn't affected Jakarta at all.  There is also a volcanic eruption happening in Yogyakarta, again not affecting Jakarta.  We are however being affected by wet season rains and flooding.

Not really a good period, uh? God bless the people in troubles in your country anyway. Are you still looking for travelling to Thaialnd in February? Well, 5-6 days is not much, but enough to enjoy some good time. Phuket is not that small, depends what are you looking for from this vacation. I guess you have enough beautiful beaches in Indonesia as well, so I don`t think you are much into marine life. If you are looking for nightlife than stay in Patong, plenty of cheap accommodations. Kata is even a better choice, as Patong is the hell on earth. They are all busy areas anyway. If you would like to be closer to nature for a more real spot of Phuket than chose Nai Harn or Rawai area (I live here).  Once at the airport take a public cab on the right hand side or a sharing mini-bus to these destination. If you are travelling on budget, than just drop off and look for the one you like. Than rent a motorbike, it`s pretty cheap, get a map and drive yourself to the Big Bhudda, Wat Chalong and Phuket Town, very nice sino-portuguese city with many chinese and bhuddist temples. If you have time drive up to Bang Pae waterfalls and Gibbon`s rehabilitation centre. 2 days in Phuket are too short to do anything. If you want to see surrounding islands, go to Rawai and take a long tail boat to Coral Island or Koh Bon. You also want to visit Krabi, so you don`t have to visit the Phang Nga bay, pretty similar scenery as Krabi. Krabi also has lot of cheap accommodation, rent a motorbike there too and visit Ao Nong bay. Trip to Phi Phi not really worth, packed of tourists, you`ll be disappointed in that period. By the way, be sure that your visit is not the same period as Chinese New Year, `cause it will be very very crowded.
Take care and good luck!
Alessandro