New to this forum

My wife and I are retired and wanting to do some travel.  Our son and his girlfriend spent two-months in the Cambodia/Viet Nam/Laos/Thailand area and loved it so we are thinking of also trying it.

We are both reasonably active, I play golf and she hikes.  Thinking about learning to dive.  No firm plans about becoming  Expats at this time but exposure to new things might remedy that.  Both our children have moved away so we don't feel like we need to stay in one place but aren't sure what we really want to do.

Cambodia sounds awesome and we hope to be there for the coming fall.

jim & jane

Get wild and tour Asia. The culture, food and amazing scenery will make you fall in love with the area.
Every country has its own charms, so visit as many as possible.
Pack light clothes and an open mind.
You'll also need a brolly.

Malaysia is a great place for first time tourists because so many people speak English (la).
It has an amazing mix of three main cultural groups, enough to keep you interested for ages.
Western food is easily available, allowing your tummy time to adjust.

Thanks Fred,

My big question is:  What is a brolly?

A little more on my background.  I was born into a military (Air Force) family and had the great opportunities such an upbringing offers.  I've lived in Germany (3X), France, Japan, and Okinawa as well as many of the United States.  I then joined the US Navy  (East Coast sailor) and did several deployments to Europe in my one-hitch tour of duty.  I'm now a retired federal employee who had almost 37 years service.  My wife is a retired educator.  All in all, we've had a very fortunate life.

At this point we're vacillating over where to go for our 40th anniversary.  I want to return to Europe but also want to see more of the Far East.  I know the food is good there and the prices seem WAY better than Europe.  While there is an "Island Spa/Resort" in Cambodia that is definitely out of our price range, most of the nice hotels/spas/resorts seem to be very reasonably priced.

Any suggestions (from anyone) on places to go , where to stay when we get there and how to most easily travel in between will be very much appreciated.

Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you again.

jim & jane

Please don't take random photos of the local people.

brolly is Pommy for umbrella.

rccatfish2 wrote:

Please don't take random photos of the local people.

Hi rccatfish, Can you develop your point of view, or maybe create a new thread about this interesting topic. Thanks a lot.

Oh, that was a random strange reply by me, sometimes these things just happen. I hope that I didn't offend you.
It is an interesting subject though maybe in a different post. I have witnessed at times where tourist will take photographs of people who may feel that they are viewed as an object and that is rude and insensitive.
Anyway I hope your trip works out for you and I'll try to be more thoughtful with my comments. And by the way
go to Kep you will find lodging along the way so you don't need to try and plan everything before you arrive.
Cheers