What's wrong with people?

I would be interested to understand why people or businesses -generally residing indigenously seem to think it is reasonable or acceptable to 1) not reply to phone calls 2) not to respond to emails and 3) when challenged (politely or otherwise) never offer a polite apology; as if it physically pained them to do so and lastly 4) to keep others waiting for exceptionally long durations -also with no real explanation.

I have found this to be the case generally throughout the Middle East and not just in Oman. Can someone please tell me what this is all about? I find it frustrating and exceptionally rude.

Maybe if I understood why, I could tolerate it better. Hence I am intrigued to hear back from anyone wishing to offer an explanation!

Many thanks

FredSJ wrote:

I would be interested to understand why people or businesses -generally residing indigenously seem to think it is reasonable or acceptable to 1) not reply to phone calls 2) not to respond to emails and 3) when challenged (politely or otherwise) never offer a polite apology; as if it physically pained them to do so and lastly 4) to keep others waiting for exceptionally long durations -also with no real explanation.

I have found this to be the case generally throughout the Middle East and not just in Oman. Can someone please tell me what this is all about? I find it frustrating and exceptionally rude.

Maybe if I understood why, I could tolerate it better. Hence I am intrigued to hear back from anyone wishing to offer an explanation!

Many thanks

Hi FredSJ,

The one-word answer to your angst is 'apathy'.

Or in other words, no one really cares unless there's something in it for them, personally.

The general attitude is, 'oh, please don't bother me with anything' - even it be a new business opportunity, or the chance to make a sale, or whatever. Any work to be done is generally frowned upon.

Going out of the way to help, or assist someone else, with no personal agenda and interest in it, can be viewed as downright madness !!

I have also been a victim of this shockingly callous attitude by many and across different locations here in the Sultanate.

Thank you Sumitran for a very interesting reply. People seem oddly happy to effectively 'shoot themselves in the foot'. I think it is far more admirable to have personal standards, to be proud of good effort and honesty than to be lazy or sneer at others who actually bother!

I am sorry that you have also been on the receiving end of this apparently rife 'what's in it for me' outlook. How do you survive in that environment though? Why would I want to work or live in a place that advocates this sort of behaviour?

Thank you again  :)

Hi FredSJ,

Initially I found the attitude revolting, to put it mildly.

But then in due course, the system has its own way of changing your mindset ... you also get pulled into the vortex of complacency which is so widely rampant and can be found all around you.

To fight the system, would certainly destabilise your spirit and soul. So in a sense, it is better to give in meekly, rather than putting up any strong resistance. It will be after all a futile battle.

'Omani Rials' win ultimately !!

ya  ..... good to see that it Is easing out .....................

there is a genral 'laid back ' attitude as the definition of ''Profession'' and ''proficiency''  has limited meaning as it is genrally understood in the other parts of world . 
I guess , thats how this place has ample 'serenity ' .and Why we forgot that sometimes we were bugged up by late - night , late working hours , odd time calling and meetings  ,traffic , running madly  with no appreciation as it was well under the definition of professional ..

I guess its either this way or that ..... But the ones who have tasted the other world ,tend to get bugged up this attitude ......