Teaching in Nepal

Hi there,
I am a qualified TEFL teacher with about 4 years teaching experience and have also been a qualified children's social worker here in the UK for the past 6 years. Can anyone offer any advice on the job/volunteering possibilities in Nepal.
I travelled there around 2000 and would love to go back for around a year.

Thanks

Hello Artaud, welcome to Expat.com :)
As a matter of fact I saw an ad in Nepal's Classifieds -> Jobs, NGO section; you might want to check it out!
Hope this helps
Arlette

Hello Sir, I am new user and i don't know the duties and responsibilities and the selection process. Similarly, i also don't knoe when you post me about the result of selection.

Hello Shree,
I don't understand your questions unfortunately but you seem to be :offtopic:.
Would you mind posting a new topic in Nepal's forum and elaborate?
Thanks a lot
Arlette

Thanks Arlette, I messaged the charity and hopefully should hear back from them. What do you think of my chances of looking for something whilst I'm in Kathmandu?

Nepal has many large areas where government influence and control is less then what it would be in a European or North American country.

Work is one of these. If you want to work in Nepal during your stay, it is very well possible. It is not difficult to find work, although volunteer labour is more expected and less frowned upon from short-staying foreigners then taking a paid job that could also be done by a Nepali. Depending on your visa (and assuming you come on a tourist visa) gaining and working a job doesn't make it legal though. You could be expelled from the country (or worse) if you're breaking Nepalese laws. And your tourist visa will clearly state that you're not allowed to work whilst in Nepal.

So, can you find work - yes.
Can you do the work - yes.
Is it legal to work - no.
Is that a direct problem - mostly not but sometimes it is.
Will you be able to stay in Nepal past 5 months tourist visa term duration? - highly unlikely.

Under the radar you can do many things in Nepal, but gaining a long-term visa (ie. not a tourist visa) will need you to prove you have a clean track record. If you cannot do this, you can even 'buy' your long-stay visa by bribery or other forms of trickery (there are many!), but you will be paying bribes for the rest of your planned stay since you can never clear that of your record, and you will always be at risk of being expelled once rules tighten for whatever reason, and officials start checking into your official paper trails.

Enjoy your stay in Nepal though..!

Thanks JW, Thats really useful information.

Hi Niyati,
I'm at Heathrow airport just about to board my flight!
What you have posted sounds very interesting.
Perhaps we can meet up once I have arrived?

Regards

Hello Niyati,

Yes, I am in Nepal, and if you ever get your account unbanned you should try to ask this kind of questions by Private Messages. More likely to get a serious answer, and less likely to get your account banned.

J.