Giving Back While in Nairobi ....

Want to give back while in Nairobi? Join us! We're a group of expats/locals working together to build a sustainable fundraising/volunteer structure for a children's home in Nairobi. The possibility for growth is infinite. We've got dreams - but more importantly - a structure of community organizing tools to support them.

Please contact me if you're interested in joining. We're looking for anyone and everyone that's passionate about giving children a shot at this gift called life. The work will involve strategy, recruitment, design ... I can promise your skills will be used and appreciated.

----

Quick about me: I'm a relocated community organizer trained under Marshal Ganz. I recently worked on projects with NGO's and underrepresented populations in Boston MA. I've been in Nairobi for about a month and have been working on this project since I arrived ...

Welcome to Expat.com, Natalie :)
Maybe you could also insert an ad in Nairobi's Classifieds under Community -> Clubs, Associations, Volunteers subsection. It might help.
Arlette

You are doing a great job. Keep it up. I should join you.

Thats   great,i   should   join.
Got   an   email   or   something   you   can   be   reached   with   other   than   the   forum??
Thanks!

Yes, good idea, but why only one childrens home?  What about an organisation that can network with several establishments? Some sort of sponsorship for street children perhaps.  Your narrow focus bothers me a little.

Am involved in working with children and families leaving in the slums wings-of-mercy.org and would be interested if we can partner with your group to make  a difference Roger

Please don't forget that 'giving back' can also involve buying Kenyan products (furniture, clothes etc) wherever possible.

If you're looking for a variety of worthy orphanages to spend your time with in the Nairobi area, please check out Flying Kites Oasis (flyingkitesglobal.org/oasis). We currently work with 16 children's homes in and around Nairobi to help them implement a sustainable business model. We connect them with the tools, resources and education needed to provide a higher standard of care to their children. These homes have submitted to audits and are held accountable for any incoming funds, ensuring that your volunteer money and hours are spent honestly and effectively.

Our 16 homes present a variety of ways volunteers can best share their skills, whether it be assisting in a medical clinic, teaching/tutoring in a classroom setting, counseling abused children, running sports clinics or art programs, our homes offer opportunities for all to get involved.

Oasis sources volunteers to each home, ensuring that all fees are sent directly to the orphanage, rather than bringing in a profit. I would be happy to speak further about the various opportunities available to volunteers: [email protected], 0703 413 423

Thanks!

Hi hannahinafrica,

Please post your advert in the Nairobi classifieds > community section - volunteers..

Thank you.

I do the same here in nairobi.

may be if you could be in touch I may shre some experience.
and may be show you around homes which we partner with.

Blessings

Robert