CAN I BRING MY DOG TO MAURITIUS?

I am coming soon to work and live in mauriitus.

can i bring my dog wth me?

can i be in touch with a dog trainer?

thank you

Hi
Yes, you can bring your dog but you need to get an import licence from the Ministry of Agriculture and also an export licence from your country.  If your dog is female then she needs to be spayed.  There are a few breeds that are restricted.
I am in the throws of importing my dogs.
Regatds

Hi,

what about importing a Rottweiler?

Thanks
Nancy

Ale&Nancy wrote:

Hi,

what about importing a Rottweiler?

Thanks
Nancy

Hi
I have a feeling Rottweiler's could be on the new list of banned dogs for entry into Mauritius although I am not 100% sure.

You will get lots of advice but it really is best to speak to the right people in the right department to get the correct information.
I suggest that you ring the Ministry Of Agriculture, Vet Division on :
R E P U B L I C  O F  M A U R I T I U S
MINISTRY OF AGRO-INDUSTRY & FOOD SECURITY
DIVISION OF VETERINARY SERVICES - REDUIT
TEL NO: +230 466 6662    FAX: (230) 464 2210   

Good luck :)

Hi and thanks for the answer.
Is this meaning that I cannot bring him?
:sosad:

Ale&Nancy wrote:

Hi and thanks for the answer.
Is this meaning that I cannot bring him?
:sosad:

As I said in my post above - please ring and check, as the rules have changed slightly over the last 8 months - maybe because they are now saying dogs entering the Country must be sterilised then the rules for bringing certain breeds into the Country have relaxed.

Please just ring them and they will give you the correct information and then you can post on here what the "official" rules are.

Hi ,  My latest communication says nothing about Rottirs. However the process is involved so you be on the safe side you have to do your own investigations.

Updated extra contact details for Ministry of Agriculture vet division:
Veterinary Services)
Tel: (230) 454 1016, 454 1017, 466 6662
Fax: (230) 464-2210

Hi
I have just spoken to the lady in charge at Ministry of Agriculture regarding the new rules on importing dogs into Mauritius:

1, There are now 2 lists of dogs - one list is dogs NOT allowed under any circumstances and 2nd list is for dogs that used to be on the forbidden list, this includes Rottweiler's

2. The new rulings (List 2) on Rottweiler's is that they have to be sterilised whether male or female - she actually told me all dogs that come into Mauritius now have to be sterilised.
3. They have to be absolutely pure breed and they must have full pedigree papers to confirm this.
4. There has to be a behavioural report done to say the Rottweiler behaviour is safe and controllable.
5. As the Rottweiler is on the 2nd list of dogs then you must allow extra time for obtaining the import permits etc

This is the conversation between myself and the Vet Services at Reduit today - this is NOT my personal opinion.

Hope this has helped :)

Dear Rosie,

you have been SO KIND that we'd really love to invite you and your husband for a drink as soon as we'll get to Mauritius. Me and Alessandro are getting married in August 29th, and we'll leave for Mauritius for our honey moon on the 1st of October for two weeks. It will be some kind of "honey moon mixed with a curious exploration of the island", as we are taking into consideration the idea of moving within the next two years to Mauritius with our Rottie. :) We have already written and email to BOI in order to learn local rules and regulations regarding working permits. Here in Italy we run a Reparation and Sales office of lawn mowers, ride on tractors, chainshaws and gardening tools. We'd love to invest and move to Mauritius doing the same activity or working in the diving field. However he's a professional mechanical and I'm working as a secretary at the moment. You have been SO SO kind with us and of really help. Hope we may at least offer you a drink and get to know your dogs too! ;) Bye bye Nancy from Italy

Thank you - we have a busy early October but hoping to be able to sort something out :)
Whereabouts on the Island are you staying?

Can any one advise a company who builds swimming pools.  Also can one buy beehives on the island?
Thanks in advance
Barbara

barbara torrance wrote:

Can any one advise a company who builds swimming pools.  Also can one buy beehives on the island?
Thanks in advance
Barbara

Best you start this as a new thread Barbara, otherwise it becomes lost on the above pet/dog thread ;)

How do I do a new thread?

barbara torrance wrote:

How do I do a new thread?

Barbara
Go to the top or bottom f this page and click on Mauritius, this takes you to the page with all the threads/posts on.
On your left hand side above the questions is a green box, just click start new topic and then just follow the instructions from there :)

Good luck  ;)

Thank you for your help

Your welcome :) Anytime ;)

We are staying at Le Victoria resort near not far away from Trou-aux Biches.
It is located in Pointe aux Piments.
We'll rent a car and travel a bit as we wish to get soon an appointment with BOI too and then visit everything.
Where do you live?

Send me a message when you arrive :)

I have a mini dachshund / Teckel. What are the procedures? Is it an allowed breed?
Does it depend on the country I'm coming from?

Davids 23 wrote:

I have a mini dachshund / Teckel. What are the procedures? Is it an allowed breed?
Does it depend on the country I'm coming from?

Hi David
There are many Teckels here and they are allowed into the Country. The types of dogs on the banned list tend to be Pit Bull types etc

I would suggest you read all the posts on bringing your pet to Mauritius, this will give you an insight about all the requirements, peoples experiences etc etc

Also the latest postings tell you all the contact details and website etc

The one main new rule is that all dogs coming into Mauritius must be sterilised.

Good luck :)

Thanks Rosie all that info is very helpful. Would you happen to know the name of the person you spoke to at the ministry regarding Rottweillers? Thanks

paulhickey wrote:

Thanks Rosie all that info is very helpful. Would you happen to know the name of the person you spoke to at the ministry regarding Rottweillers? Thanks

Sorry in the delay in replying to your question.

I spoke to Mrs Boodoo - well thats how it sounds :) I also spoke with her again about 2 weeks ago face to face and I double checked what I had told you and I was correct.

Ring her, she is very friendly and very helpful :) 
Ministry of Agriculture vet division:
Veterinary Services)
Tel: (230) 454 1016, 454 1017, 466 6662

She would appreciate if people wanted to know anything about bringing their pets into Mauritius that they ring her and get the correct answers to questions.

The latest developments in quarantine are that pets coming from France now have to go into quarantine here for 30 days - no longer just 5 days until further notice due to a rabies case in France.

Remember anything you need to know ring Mrs BooDoo - she will give the correct answers and she is very approachable :)

Hello Rosie

I hope this finds you well.

Regarding the two ponts below:

4. There has to be a behavioural report done to say the Rottweiler behaviour is safe and controllable.
5. As the Rottweiler is on the 2nd list of dogs then you must allow extra time for obtaining the import permits etc

Would it be ok for our vet to do the behavoiural report do you know?
Would you know how long this may take?

Many thanks you have been incredibly generous with your time and effort.

Regards

Paul

Hi, I am looking at moving to Mauritius and have two cats I am bringing with.Does anyone know what the condition of the quarantine facility is where they need to stay?

Hi .. Am bringing my dog and cat .. Apparently not very nice but at least it's down to one month and you can visit everyday ..

In case anyone needs the respective email addresses at the Ministry of Agro Industry and Food Security..

http://www.mauritius.goto.mu/images/w.1280/h.853/c.1/mr.1/d.listing_photos/sd.2016-09/i.521587fac391d30abd945bca12169cd3.jpg

Hi,
Conditions are quite basic, but you will be OK with cats, they should be able to share the same crate/cage, so at least they will be together. They will be fine I am sure.....try to visit daily.

Dogs can also share if from the same family - but they are not walked or taken out of their kennel for the duration of their stay unless the owners visit and take the dogs into the exercise area - most of us did this each day - my costs were high as I got a taxi each day and he waited for the 2 hours I was there to then take me home - but I felt it was necessary as my dogs would have been extremely distressed kept in a kennel with no walk or playtime each day.

Good luck ;)

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Kindly note that publicity of services if not allowed on the forum.