Water Coolers

Looking to invest in a water cooler, but has anybody any recommendations?

Price wise seem to range from 350 upwards.

Its always better to buy a branded cooler since you will be drinking water out of it and do not want any form of malfunction that may give rise to contamination

I am about to buy one of those things also but got a little put off by seeing the water containers left outside our compound shop in the high heat all the time.  I think I read somewhere a while ago about water contamination from the plastic of the bottle to the water inside?  Does anyone have any knowledge of this?  Is this a safe method for water consumption?

I have also been looking around at water coolers. With regard to the plastic bottle, I know there was a lot of scare-mongering a while ago about re-using the small plastic bottles that you buy from shops. Whether or not it was true I am not sure, but it would definitely have been in the interests of the bottles water companies for people to believe it was true so the bottles would not be used again.

I am not worried about water being left in the heat - it does not really go off - and the small bottles of water you buy now are probably left in exactly the same conditions. The only difference is that it will go through your machine.

One last thing I noticed when I was looking yesterday: The coolers that are 350SAR are small. Although there does not seem to be any noticeable difference between these ones and the large ones, think about where you are going to keep it in your house. You will notice that the small ones in shops are always on shelves; if you don't have a suitable shelf (and remember to factor in the space for the water bottle on top) it would need to be right next to the floor. This would be my biggest hygiene worry and it would also be inconvenient.

Please let me know if you find any good deals.

Was in Extra yesterday and came to the same conclusion about the full height and table top machines.

The one other thing that cropped up was the voltage, some are 110v and others 220v. I know in my villa that although I have 220 & 110v supply the only plugs that are free would be 110v. Of course could get these converted but that is an added cost.

Of course nobody in the shop could explain what the advantage was to go for a cooler at 799 sar as opposed to 350 sar, so left emptyhanded.

Hey guys, this is really useful as I have also been looking and am about to go out again just now to try again!  Will let you know if I can achieve success (over and out)!

Right - here is my report back, as I had a great day of action today and finally got the water cooler!  The one I settled on was at Carefour and the guy there was very helpful, I made him talk through 6 different models with me and explain the what and what.  I now have the Nikai (decided on the Japanese reliability) hot water (hot enough to make a cup of tea apparantly) and cold and it also has a little fridge at the bottom.  It is free-standing and a lovely silver slick looking thing.  It is 220v and its already plugged in and operational - Fantastic - so for my little soiree tomorrow I will have some hot or cold water, on tap (so to speak)!

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

Right - here is my report back, as I had a great day of action today and finally got the water cooler!  The one I settled on was at Carefour and the guy there was very helpful, I made him talk through 6 different models with me and explain the what and what.  I now have the Nikai (decided on the Japanese reliability) hot water (hot enough to make a cup of tea apparantly) and cold and it also has a little fridge at the bottom.  It is free-standing and a lovely silver slick looking thing.  It is 220v and its already plugged in and operational - Fantastic - so for my little soiree tomorrow I will have some hot or cold water, on tap (so to speak)!

We bought a floor-standing Dora but didn't realise other models come with a mini fridge... damn!! (about SR399 and 220V)

Hey Zzzz  bummer!

Oh, forgot to mention the cost - was only SAR 429 and it has that anti-bacterial thingy with it!

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

Hey Zzzz  bummer!

Oh, forgot to mention the cost - was only SAR 429 and it has that anti-bacterial thingy with it!

Where are they in Carrefour? Went looking yesterday and never saw any.

Go in from the far right hand entrance of the store by the electrical goods - it's just after the mobile phone stall on the right.

I must have walked right passed them! :mad: