Driver License Info

Here is some information on driver license (English) I found in another site.Driver's License and Driver's Records
The process of obtaining a Puerto Rico driver license is easy to follow. When you apply for your license, take the following basic information: Social security card, ID with your full name, residential and postal address, date of birth and driver's license number (if applicable). To apply, visit one of the locations listed on the on the DMV website.

Learners Permit Certificate
A learner's license allows you to practice driving while accompanied by a licensed adult age 21 or older. You must be at least 16 to apply. You can study for the written permit test using the Driver's Manual (PDF) provided by the DTOP available online.

To apply you must provide the following:

Application for Driver License (form DTOP-775) (PDF)
If you are under 18 years of age, but older than 16 years of age, parent or legal guardian must present birth certificate (acceptable forms of identification) (PDF) and complete a notarized Parental affidavit Medical certificate (form DTOP-260)
Social Security number (present Social Security card, W-2 form, SSA-1099, US Military card, or copy State or Federal Tax returns)
Provide proof of residence and birth date (birth cerificate or passport - acceptable documents) (PDF)
Three 2x2" photographs
Internal Revenue Seal of $11.00
Pass the written exam
Driver's License

Learners Permit Certificate with at least 30 days of expedition
Pass the driving exam
Three 2x2" photographs
If you wish to retake the exam you should present an Internal Revenue Seal of $5.00.

Renew of Driver's License

Complete the Application for Driver License (PDF), including medical certificate
Two 2x2" photographs
Internal Revenue Seal of $11.00, if your license has expired you must present one for $31.00
If your license has been expired for more than 2 years and 30 days, you must take the written exam applicable for your license type.

Driver's License for New Residents

New residents must obtain a valid Puerto Rico driver's license within 30 days of establishing residency and may register to vote after 30 days. If you are a U.S. Citizen and you have a valid out-of-state license you must provide the following:

Take an eye exam
Pass the written exam, (if you are over 25 and your current license has no outstanding violations, the written exam could be waived)
In most instances eye and written exam is not required when presenting a a valid driver's license from another state.

Duplicate of Driver's License

Affidavit on the loss of the license, indicating that has not been occupied by the Police or suspended by some court of Justice
Two 2x2" photographs
Internal Revenue Seal of $5.00
Identification with photo
How to obtain a driver's record?
You may request a driver record by mail by providing the following information:

Full name as it appears on your driver's license
Social Security number
License number
Reason for the request
Address to which the record should be mailed
Daytime telephone number
Photocopy of a valid photo identification, preferably your Puerto Rico driver's license
Money order in the amount of $1.50 made out to: Secretario de Hacienda.
Mail to:
Secretario de Hacienda
DivisiApartado 41243
San Juan, PR 00940-1240

Requests usually take 2 to 3 business days and mailed out via first class US Mail.

Or you can just go to a service and pay them to have it done for you!!  there is one in Condado above Supermax De Diego....it's much easier...

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

Puerto Rico has full reciprocity with most states. If you have a license from a state, you do not have to take the test.

This is great info. Do you know if the service in Condado can help us with PR licenses if we have valid licenses from another state? We would rather not have to go to the DTOP if we can avoid it, having been there once to register our car ...

frogrock wrote:

Puerto Rico has full reciprocity with most states. If you have a license from a state, you do not have to take the test.

I live in Illinois and understand we have the full reciprocity.  So would that mean I still need a PR license but don't have to take the testing?

If you are moving to PR and giving up your citizenship in your former state, you can get a PR license by turning in your Illinois license, pay the appropriate fee, pass the medical test (a piece of cake) from a vendor and they will give you a PR license.

Thank you, frogrock.  We probably won't give up citizenship right away.

Giving up citizenship?

When I said citizenship, I was referring to becoming a resident of Puerto Rico as opposed to being a resident of New York State.  'Citizenship' was probably the wrong word to use.  By becoming a resident of Puerto Rico, I took advantage of the five-year property tax exemption offered by Puerto Rico and also escaped the madness of New York taxes. Although I do miss diners, outdoor summer concerts on Long Island and slices of pizza.

dgdlaw wrote:

Giving up citizenship?

All Puerto Ricans are US Citizens, all you need is a plane ticket to travel just like you may travel to New York or Florida. Same Federal laws, including medical treatment, and everything else like in the rest of the USA.

You need a new driver license once you become a resident just like if you became a resident of Florida.

No passport needed and no work visa, it is part of the US.

Rey,
I remember having to sign a pledge that I would switch from vodka to rum.
Oh, and be willing to swim outside all times of the year.  There are probably some other details I forgot, but they will re-enter my memory after today's rum punch wears off.
Frogrock

I see you aré a good Caribbean pírate, but don't forget to wear your eye patch when you drink your rum. That is part of the pledge also. You get your hook if you are caught.

You sound like my kind of people. I figured the word/classification was wrong but thought maybe I needed to be enlightened or missing something. Anyway, A-a-a-a-a-a-r-g-g-g-g-h-h-h!