Find an apartment in Buenos Aires

Thursday night we will be on a plane again for our trip to Buenos Aires; the last one before moving at the end of April. The goal is to find an apartment for when we move with our pets. I don't know if someone went through this already but it can be a very interesting adventure. First challenge: find an apartment that allows pets - 2 big dogs and 2 cats. Second challenge: to find a good one in the district that we like AND in our price range. When you put everything together you end up with a big giant puzzle. To make things worse - there are two types of rentals in Buenos Aires: short-term or less than six months and long-term of more than six months. Short-term you can find for as short as several days and it's less than a hotel usually. If you you want something furnished this is a great option, but usually more expensive. Long-term you will need a guarantor who will basically put their property as collateral, or sometimes you can negotiate to pay 6 months or a year when you move in. Then you still have the security deposit of 1 - 2 months. Oh well, this is just one of the steps that you have to go through to live in this wonderful country

stef

I have a friend who spent 1 year in B.A., and I think he collected some information about renting an apartment. You can find these information (and more !) on his blog :  http://www.imerege.com/blog/;)

manu wrote:

I have a friend who spent 1 year in B.A., and I think he collected some information about renting an apartment. You can find these information (and more !) on his blog :  http://www.imerege.com/blog/;)

Thks Manu for the information!

If you are looking for an apartment or house for more than six months (this is what is cconsidered a tourist rental) then you will have your work cut out for you! It is a challenge to say the least. Expect to provide a guarantee (from a friend, colleague, or relative) unless you have a company that will guarantee it.  Otherwise you will be required to pay up front for the time you are staying - and that could even include up to one to two years.  The tourist apartment/house will be the same. You will not be able to rent month to month, you will be required to pay the total up front.

There are deals out there but only if you have the right contacts, and as I wrote in a post on my blog this week, more people want to take a bat TO you rather than going to bat FOR you.

Luckily, I now have a great real estate agent from a small family owned company to watch out for us.  And if I have friends coming to BA and they don't want to stay in the huge house we were able to finally rent, then we now have friends who rent out their apartments in Buenos Aires so they could even stay in the city. But, that is not to say that we did not meet people this past week who wanted to take that proverbial bat TO us.

If anyone has any questions about this process or needs some reliable contacts there, please don't hesitate to ask.  I think we went through it all this week :-)

Another option is to constantly change houses every few months. I prefer this idea because it gives you the opportunity to check out new neighborhoods and you don't have to deal with the complicated long term rental agreements foreigners have to deal with. I have moved 3 times since I've been here (to three different neighborhoods) and it's been a very easy process. I have also used three different rental agencies to book the apartment through. i haven't had a problem yet, and even furnished, short term rentals are still a good deal. My first apartment was in the upscale recoleta, was fully furnished and only cost 900 / month. Now i live in Palermo (my favorite neighborhood) and pay about 850 for another fantastic place. You can get places for cheaper if you like as well (studios for $500).

but anyways, back to my point, while traveling from one apartment to the next every few months may not be for everyone it might be a good idea for those who want to live in many different neighborhoods.

Hey,
Thanks for sharing guys, it is hard to know who to trust when you go to a new place, if its ok, i thought i would leave my personal recommendation for renting in Buenos Aires.
My partner and I have been renting apartments in the city for 7 months through Baires Apartments.
After having difficulties with communication, and dissatisfaction with the apartments and agents of other agencies, we contacted Baires Apartments.

From the beginning they were very helpful and informative as we were new to the city. Contracts are legal and all transparent, they are efficient with property maintenance and easily contactable.
We have stayed in two different properties, one near Plaza san martin and the other in recoleta. The apartments are fully self contained, very clean and comfortable and in convenient locations. Also we found them more economic for what we received.

Dealing with this company has been a pleasure and after such a good experience, we couldn't recommend any other company to organise your stay in Buenos Aires.

Please see their website at apartmentsbaires.com.ar

I have no connection with this company, other than living in their properties. Good luck :)
Rebecca

There are a variety of very good apartment rental agencies.  I hesitate to say much about particular rental companies but the one mercilessly listed above has prices that are way above the norm here for vacation rentals.  I would suggest that people do a quick google search and start comparing prices and it will be easy enough to see where the best bargains can be found.