Skipper certificate experiences?

Hi expats,

Has anyone of you taken sailing lessons to acheive a skipper certificate in Mauritius? I would be grateful if you would share your experiences on it, concerning the quality of the training, instructors, costs, where you did it and so on.

Thanks!

hi nice to meet you

please keep in touch will revert back to you soon.

linapascal wrote:

Hi expats,

Has anyone of you taken sailing lessons to acheive a skipper certificate in Mauritius? I would be grateful if you would share your experiences on it, concerning the quality of the training, instructors, costs, where you did it and so on.

Thanks!

If you understand French, there is a thread on the French Forum:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12013

Thanks.

Hi,
you will be able to get a mauritian skippers licence only if you have a resident permit. No foreigners are allowed to drive a boat here with their foreign licence. and to do the exam, you have to be resident. and it take quite a long time, mauritius...
good luck...

Hi Jf2011 - are you positive you can't even get a recreation/speedboat permit if you are not Mauritian? I've been trying to find out but I don't know who to ask.  Which government department is it? Is it linked to the Coast Guard? I can apply for residency in a few months time (holding thumbs).

Not that i know much about this but I seem to remember it's the Ministry of Tourism who deals with boats, boat licences etc. Ah i have a link now
http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/tourist/m … 000b521ca/

Anyone can take the skipper test.
1) Go to Tourism Authority
2) Request test book 500rs(English,French, Creo)
3) Wait....
4) Tourism authority will call when they have enough people. The wait could be 6 months or more
5) Take written test, 40 questions. (It took me 10 minutes to complete test)
6) Take practical test, very easy. It took about 5 minutes.
7) Wait until license is ready.
DONE....

If anyone is thinking of beginning the process I would encourage you to go in and sign up ASAP.  Four of my friends have just signed up and they were told by the Tourism Authority that they still needed some more people so if you hurry and bring a few friends then the wait might not be too long.

Hi In_paradise,
You can apply for a mauritian licence only if you live in Mauritius, with a resident permit, or an investor permit etc.
Only the foreigners who are on holliday can't make it.

Hi all - thanks for the very informative advise!
Much appreciated. I think I'll sign up asap as recommended.
Cheers
Matt

My husband did his written test at the end of October or early November 2010, he had his practical just a few days ago.  It is not a quick process.

Ho about converting one from elsewhere? I have an Italian permit for big motor yachts (40t). Anyone know if that has any value here?

Silvano

Is there an Acadamy or college suach as the Sailing Academy in South Africa that one can do a yach skippers licence?

I have recently moved to Mauritius for a a few years and would like to get a skippers licence while I am here and have the opportunity to take up sailing again

Hello heinlieb -> As this thread is a bit old, do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Mauritius forum for more visibility. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks Aurelie, i will do so

Hein