Sim card for overseas voice calls and 3G for a month

Hello everyone, it is my first time posting in the Malaysia forum. I'm Ham, just a student from Switzerland who likes travelling. Nice to meet you all. :]

I'm here because I have question about the SIM cards available for travellers in Malaysia.

I am going there for a month with my Malaysian friend (she is Malayisan but was born and raised in Switzerland, hence she cannot help me much), and I will travel in various places (still not precisely planned) such as Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Melacca, Johor, Redang or Tioman Island and Sarawak. I use an iPhone 5S which is unlocked.

I've been looking through google for informations but all answers and questions were outdated. I think that things have changed since then, that's why I'm trying to ask here. (Indeed, what I've read for Vietnam was not applicable anymore by the year I went over there…) Plus, I couldn't really understand the Malaysian telecommunications carriers' sites.

Being there for exactly one month, I would like to be able to call home in Switzerland, sometimes, with an interesting cost rate for a reliable connection (it cannot be super  expensive, can it?) and to surf on the net (mostly social networks/instant chat for instance and perhaps a bit of google map) from time to time, in different places out of the cities. No super speedy connection is needed for those activities; as long as it works and covers a large territory, it's fine. No need for 5GB (omg) of data as well, 1GB for the month is already way enough.

I've seen that many people talk about Celcom that has good staff and services, Maxis as well because they have shops almost everywhere, and DiGi (but their covered areas are restricted and their 3G does not always work well, according to a few travellers).

What are the xpax SIM cards? Are they easy to find, to buy, and to use? What would you guys recommend me to get for a month of holiday in Malaysia?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello traveller,

I live here in Penang now for 8 weeks and I tried different SIMs - even Celcom has his advantage in some areas around KL, still Maxi has the best broadband service if you move around in Malasyia. For example Penang - I live a few km before Batu Ferringhi and there is no 4g coverage at all - doesn't matter what SIM you use. But 3G works fine and I achieve in average 20/10 Mbps with Maxis. For voice calls I use Dringgg a Mobile Voip App what you can download free and which provides superb quality - full CLI. Especially back to Europe you will see that the Dringgg calls have a better quality than call you receive on your Malaysian mobile number. Just put Dringgg (with 3 Gs) in the search engine of your market place and you will find it. A Maxi SIM card for 3 GB will cost you arround 50 ringits (12 EUR) and it is valid for 30 days after activation - but have in mind that you need to activate the card for high internet speed - that has to be done in the Maxi Shop where you buy it.

Happy travelling

Hi,

It's so easy to get a SIM CARD and activate 3G Internet on it in every corner in Malaysia. Right in the airport where you land you can find many Mobile Shops to buy Sim Card and activate Voice/Text/Data plan on it. No worries at all.

Cheers,
Alex

Thank you very much for all your answers and pieces of advice! I will definitely try to get one from Maxis at the airport and I won't forget to ask for a 3G activation. I will also test the Dringgg app to call home, that seems interesting.

You can compare providers here:

http://www.klia2.info/trips/travel-tips … e-services

Apparently U mobile (which has become a leading provider these days) has a free sim and top up service with RM40 for 3GB over 30 days. As there is WiFi extensively available you may find it sufficient.

http://www.lowyat.net/2015/03/u-mobile- … ders-only/