New to Forum

Hi Forum members, at this moment of time I live on the banks of the River Nile in Luxor Egypt, not far from the Valley of Kings (20 mins away) in my own villa with my wife, i am looking to move on and sell my villa or swap my villa to move to Koh Sumai. This will take me closer to my daughter. I am looking to hear about medical facilities on the island, cost of MF and alike. Also the true cost of renting property or buying property, in most Countries there is a difference between what is advertised and what the correct price is. Also is there a dual pricing system where foreigners are charged more than locals? Also would like to hear about importing things and the tax they charge, and the general cost of living. In Luxor you can live like kings on around 400GBP a month for an example.

Main thing is visa's how long do they last and the cost?

Chocolate Eclair wrote:

Hi Forum members, at this moment of time I live on the banks of the River Nile in Luxor Egypt, not far from the Valley of Kings (20 mins away) in my own villa with my wife, i am looking to move on and sell my villa or swap my villa to move to Koh Sumai. This will take me closer to my daughter. I am looking to hear about medical facilities on the island, cost of MF and alike. Also the true cost of renting property or buying property, in most Countries there is a difference between what is advertised and what the correct price is. Also is there a dual pricing system where foreigners are charged more than locals? Also would like to hear about importing things and the tax they charge, and the general cost of living. In Luxor you can live like kings on around 400GBP a month for an example.

Main thing is visa's how long do they last and the cost?

Welcome to the forum... :) 

Whilst waiting for others to get back to you please take the time to read through the many informative posts in the forum categories list upper right hand side of this page.

Many Thanks.  :)

You can have an idea of cost of living between these 2 cities ( Luxor, Koh Samui ) in Numbeo link :
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … =Koh+Samui

Visa 1 year if married to Thai ( financial requirement 400,000 THB ) or if over 50 years for retirement ( financial requirement 800,000 THB ).

Everything is negotiable here as in Egypt I suppose, if you live in a tourist area that clear price will be higher for everthing.

Depends on your living style but you will not be a king with 400 GBP per month, which is roughly the cost to rent a house in Chiang Mai in a gated community ( around 20,000 THB per month ), and if you say you live like a king I will say ou need a pol villa on 1 rai land in Lanna Thara prenium mooban and that will cost you 120,000 THB per month ( around 2,400 GBP ), there is a difference between living simple and living like wealthy people here. But as opposite you can rent for less than 3,000 THB per month a room, or 5,000 THB a studio 30 sqm in the city of Chiang Mai, but you add all utilities fees, common fees, etc...

Medical health care also will cost you a lot depending on our age and the cover you need ( in patient and/or out patient )

You can find many informations in others forums about cost of living in different areas in Thailand..

And best for you is to travel here and stay some few months to see by yourself as your case can be different than others who gave you advices.

But Thailand is not as cheap as you think...