Moving to England.

Hello. I'm new here, and not sure if this is the correct place to post this...but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

I'm a 21 year old, currently living in [and a citizen of] the United States. My boyfriend lives in England, and I traveled there in May to visit him. It was my first time ever going to England, and I fell in love with it. Everything about it feels like home, and I'd never felt so comfortable somewhere before. Now I'm back in the states, completely broke, and have been doing months of research trying to figure out the best way to get there. I feel like even after hours and hours of browsing through millions of pages and forums, I'm never any closer to finding the solution. I guess what I'm trying to ask for is any advice/stories/hints/tips for getting me over there as soon as I can, safely, legally, so I can start my life where I feel at home.

Thank you for your time.

Hi lepersrepel! Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

You should have a look at the Life in England guide specially these articles : Visas, Work, Accommodation. There are lot of informations and useful links.

Hope this helps.
I wish you good luck.
Christine

It also would help to ask more specific questions.  I have been through the process myself and would be happy to help.

Basically, you have three main options:
1. Become a student in the UK, apply for student visa
2. Work in the UK (although this is increasingly difficult and unless you have a chance of an inter-company transfer, have a master's degree and a good salary or have highly sought after skills, it probably will not work.
3. Decide to commit to your partner and apply either for a Fiance visa (which will allow you to move to the UK for 6 months and get married within those 6 months, but you CANNOT work until you are married and have FLR(M)) or have your BF come to the states and get married there and then apply for a spouse visa which would allow you to work as soon as you entered the UK on this visa.

I'm afraid I dont have any first hand knowledge on the student visas or work visas, but can answer any other questions you may have if you choose to go the other route.

Blog: beyondthequeen.blogspot.com

Well, I'm from Canada and currently saving up to move to England in January. I have 2 degrees and am going over as a teacher. I qualify under the "youth mobility visa" which allows me to work in the UK for 2 years. Now, the tough part is the money. I need a minimum of 2,500 $ in my bank account, plus around 300$ to process my visa,and THEN my plane ticket cost. When all is said and done it might be around 3,500$.

I think that you could also qualify for a youth mobility visa. Other than that, as lady liberty mentioned, you've got things like fiance visa, student visa, and even an ancestry visa (if you have a grandparent who was born there).

You should look up your nearest British consulate and email or phone them with your questions.

Good luck! :)

anna-in-canada wrote:

I think that you could also qualify for a youth mobility visa. Other than that, as lady liberty mentioned, you've got things like fiance visa, student visa, and even an ancestry visa (if you have a grandparent who was born there).

Unfortunately, as an American, she does not qualify for the YMS or ancestry visa.  These are open to commonwealth countries only.

Blog: beyondthequeen.blogspot.com