Considering emigrating to Ecuador, any other South Africans in EC?

My name is Dave and my wife's name is Alta.  We are both (very young at heart) senior citizens and born again Christians.   We are seriously considering emigrating to Ecuador and would be in the market to buy a 2 to 3 bedroom free standing home with some garden and we are not particular about locality.
I intend to start a small photography business and might involve myself with building repairs.  We are also looking to join a Methodist Christian community and would love to contact other South Africans already living in EC.
We currently own a very big house with a huge garden in a small town which is is about 175 km from Cape Town.

Dear Dave,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

If you have ever visited Ecuador or South America, it wasn't mentioned in your post or your profile.  Come and visit, and see how you like it.  Many of us love it here.  Others find it is not for them.  Language and living adjustments can be 'culture-shock' for many.

As for your not being "particular about locality" for a home purchase...in Ecuador, when the time comes, you should be.

The main Expat areas in this country are on the coast and in the highlands.

Some retirees find the coast is too warm, being at the Equator and all.

Others find they cannot adjust to the mountains.  Cuenca and Quito, the two most popular large cities, are each thousands of feet higher than even the famously mile-high city of Denver.  Everybody needs time to adjust to the altitude here.  Walking uphill even a block or two can be a difficult challenge even for folks who have been here for years.  Like yours truly.

So please, y'all come over and see what a great country this is.  Meanwhile, know that you can "boldly go forward" without immediately hunting for a house to buy.

I suggest that you do what the cognoscenti advise here...Don't buy or build on property in the target area until you have lived there at least one year.

cccmedia in Quito (2,800 meters or 9,300' altitude)

Hi Dave and Alta

I'm from Johannesburg and have been living in Ecuador now for 2 years. Send me a private message via Expat-blog and  I would be happy to talk to you. Praat julle die taal?

Groete
Anne-Marie

Hi Dave

My wife Shireen and I are also planning the move to Ecuador, with the view of going farming. Our children are out of the house and with the looming land reform act we have decided to make the move. We currently reside in JHB, are in the process of putting our house on the market and once it has been sold will hand in my resignation, file our paper work and make the move. Initially we will enter on a 6 months visitors visa and sign up on "workaway" This is a volunteer program where you get to work on various farms around the country. most of the hosts offer you board and lodging (not five star) and in return they require 4-6hrs of work per day for 5 days a week. this will help in getting to know the country and different communities before we make the commitment of where we would like to invest. Please feel free to contact me on my private email ****. All the best with your plans and preparations for the big move.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security