Motodop costs

Hello everyone.

I have just moved back to Cambodia after having been gone for a few years, lots has changed and so have the prices. I  am living in BKK1 but will be commuting to Toul Kork for work everyday. With the changes in price I am not really sure what is a fair price for motodops anymore. I will need to find a driver who can to take me to Toul Kork and back every day Monday-Friday and I was wondering if anyone could help with an estimate price for what this should cost. I speak some Khmer to communicating my needs to a driver is not the problem, but knowing what kind of price I should expect would be helpful.

Thanks

G

Hello,

I guess Motodop might not be a good choice due to traffic accidents in the city. I hate it and I've never traveled in motodop for many years whilst I was living in PP. I would suggest Tuk Tuk, a better choice.
I know a good Tuk Tuk driver who you can probably pay him on a monthly wage for picking you up.
I don't know how much it will be, but you can call him at 012458528
He is a gentle man and can speak some good English.

Good luck :)

Sam

Thank you for your suggestion Sam, the job I have is at the moment an unpaid internship so I am really looking to cut costs on travel etc until I secure a paid position. This is why I would prefer a motodop as I think it would be significantly cheaper, and faster.

I see. Motodob is faster and cheaper, but you should also consider your safety. Many of them drive fast and want to reach the destination as fast as they can so sometime you may end up being in the middle of the road during red light of the traffic light and sometime they may go in the middle of two cars which is very scary. I had that experience.

Anyway, I wish you good luck :)

How long are you staying?  BKK1 to Toul Kork (depending on the part of TK) may be pretty far.  If you are staying a few months, it may be cheaper to get a scooter and sell it later when you are leaving.

If you go for the motodop option, better look for your driver in Tuolkork, not BKK. It will be much cheaper that way. Most of the charities and NGOs that are based in Tuolkork have a nearby spot where all the Tuk-tuk and motodop drivers wait.

You could go there with one of your co-workers. In those places, the drivers rarely speak English at all.

Whereas in BKK, expat surcharges will be included by default.

In BKK, I sometimes have real difficulties finding a Tuk-tuk that would bring me to my house in Tuolkork. They would come and approach me. I reply in Khmer that I want to go to Tuolkork. They obviously conclude that they'd make easier money driving one of the numerous tourists, and just drive away!!!

Hi The price is $3 around Phnom penh

why not drive yourself,buy a good second hand older motoerbikelike a daelim they hardly steal that,it gets you from point a to point b at low costyou can gind they around 300$

Just remember that yo need proof of residency to apply for a dl...

i think the way they calculate fares is as follows:

motodop - $ 0.50 per kilometer.
tuk tuk -  $ 1 per kilometer.

additional passengers and luggage will increase costs on a tuk tuk -  the heavier the cart; the more fuel it will consume.  they do offer more protection from the weather and a more comfortable ride.

if a motodop is going to fast, just tell them to take it easy.
but most of them are senior citizens looking to make a few extra bucks and they tend to drive in a responsible and safe manner.

beware of young guys on scooters pretending to be motodop taxis.  on a few occasions tourists were taken to an isolated area and robbed by some guys waiting for the catch. 

for the long term its better to invest in a used scooter and sell it afterwards.
it will save you a lot of money, more comfortable and saves you the hassle of bargaining every time you want to go somewhere - especially when buying groceries.

you can find some decent Honda scooters online for $400, make sure to get it inspected by a mechanic - its worth the extra money.
i heard renting a scooter in PP can cost $80 a month ( not sure ).  thats always better than spending $3 to $6 a day on motorpods and tuk tuks.

even if you buy a $400 scooter and sell it for $200 after a few months its a good deal.  some take the scooter apart and make more money by selling individual parts.