Will my salary be enough for living in Guangzhou? [PLEASE HELP] :)

Dear Expats,

I have an offer to attend an internship in Guangzhou, and it's a pretty intimidating offer.

But, my biggest concern are the costs, and whether my salary will be enough to live in Guangzhou.

So the company said they will cover my accommodation, so I don't need to pay for that.

And, they will provide me with a salary of 2500 RMB (400 dollars).

Will this be enough for living in Guangzhou? The costs that I am looking at are: food, local transport, going to the gym, maybe going out at bars, cafes, theater (not that often).

The company is located in the center area in Guangzhou, probably my accommodation will be somewhere close to that. I'm really a saver, and I want to live the student life.

Also, part of my medical insurance is being payed for, and I understood that this is expensive too, so this is OK too.

I will really appreciate it if You can give me some insight, as I need to make a decision whether I will take the internship.

Thank You!

Hello Jovan_8,

This topic might help you to find some useful information : Cost of living in China – 2015.

Thanks and regards

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi,
Most of your expense would be food, which may cost 1500+ per month, transport (bus or metro) may cost 300+. If including go around to a bar or shopping is would be kind of not enough.

Thank You so much for the help Kevin!

You really helped me a lot with your answer :)

I really appreciate it!

Hey friend, you are welcome. I think you may very interest in this job. Yeah, you can find many Jobs opportunities, nice people, cheap products... here. Good luck.

It's enought but you have to count every yuan you are spending, no luxery, no of few western food, no drinks in a bar, then you will be ok.

Hey, thanks for Your answer.

So, how much do You think I could spend for food monthly?

good afternoon.....
it is quiet shocking for me 2500 is a big joke. the least offer i know for a foreigner is at least 6K with minimal number of hours work. 2500 is the average wage for nationals. look for a better offer unless you just want to explore and you have back up money then it is fine but if you want to have an average style of living then its still not enough

You are being conned. My friend has spent the last 6 years teaching in Guangzhou earning 16,000 RMB per month. Her rent was about 3,700RMB per month for Two bedrooms. Keep looking.

The money you're getting paid is not good. Maybe the internship is worth it. teaching jobs pay a lot more. You can live with this money if you try hard enough. Anyway, you can teach part-time to make extra money

The short answer is NO WAY.  Even GZ office workers make more than that (usually).