Moving to Chennai in August 2015

Hello, we are moving to chennai from the UK in August 2015, Our work is located in RA puram, so we would like to live around this area. have two kids age 8 and 6, so any good schools around this area.
Can you please suggest a few gated communities in and around RApuram ( budget is 25000 - 35000) , want some communities where it is safe, lots of playarea within the community and groceries and shopping nearby,and some good schools for my kids( budget 1L per kid ).
Please give me some names and any contact so We can arrange to view some properties and finalise in one week, as we need to join our work by mid-august hence don't have much time to look around a lot.
How do we get the other gas, electricity and local maid help connections. We are looking for a live-in full time maid. ANy pointers in that direction.
I am looking for a school that aids the overall development with good education. Can you suggest any good schools that are reaasonably priced in the middle ( not the ultra posh school which are only concerned about money and not the traditional schools where it is only studies)
Please any suggestions/numbers would be of great help. Since we only have 2 months , have been trying to arrange a few things before moving.
Sorry for so many questions.I have been looking online and am still very confused about the societies and schools.
Thanks for your help.

desigirl0 wrote:

Hello, we are moving to chennai from the UK in August 2015, Our work is located in RA puram, so we would like to live around this area. have two kids age 8 and 6, so any good schools around this area.
Can you please suggest a few gated communities in and around RApuram ( budget is 25000 - 35000) , want some communities where it is safe, lots of playarea within the community and groceries and shopping nearby,and some good schools for my kids( budget 1L per kid ).
Please give me some names and any contact so We can arrange to view some properties and finalise in one week, as we need to join our work by mid-august hence don't have much time to look around a lot.
How do we get the other gas, electricity and local maid help connections. We are looking for a live-in full time maid. ANy pointers in that direction.
I am looking for a school that aids the overall development with good education. Can you suggest any good schools that are reaasonably priced in the middle ( not the ultra posh school which are only concerned about money and not the traditional schools where it is only studies)
Please any suggestions/numbers would be of great help. Since we only have 2 months , have been trying to arrange a few things before moving.
Sorry for so many questions.I have been looking online and am still very confused about the societies and schools.
Thanks for your help.

Welcome... :) 

Whilst waiting for others to get back to you please take the time to read through the posts in the forum categories list, upper right hand side of this page. There is information there that may be of use to you.

Hello there first all chennai is a beautiful place to live in and ra puram is a great area but a little expensive and there are a lotta schools there like sishya,KFI,american school so you don't have to worry about the education part,there are also some great play schools like abacus..getting a maid is dfntly not tough so just concentrate on finding a house which again is easy but might be a little expensive cus ra puram is a very good area..if you need any assistance feel free to msg me...cheers

Hello,
Thanks prashanth for a fast reply. Can you suggest any names of some good gated community in and around RA puram where I might find a 3BHK in my budget( 25000-35000), that has play area, shops, good security. Do we get furnished flats or are all unfurnished.
Thanks

Hi,like I said ra puram is a little expensive so a 3bhk apartment would cost at least 40-45000 but there are some really good areas around rapuram and there are two shops there where expats shop and get imported stuff too.normally houses are not furnished but a few owners rent their house furnished where the rent goes up a lil ..don't worry at all there are a lot of options thats the best part of chennai..schools,playschools are plenty....coincidentally my mum is a well known educationalist here.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security

Hi all,
I AM VISITING CHENNAI FOR SHORT DURATION AND LOOKING FOR SERVICE APARTMENT..PLS ADVISE..

There are plenty of service apts starting from 1000rs onwards..

Hello ,
welcome to chennai !!
Chennai is a great place to live , but 25 to 35 k for housing in rapuram is difficult .generally rapuram is in the center of the city and the rents are quite high around 45k .i suggest you must look at apartments in OMR  (IT highway ) or ECR which is 10 km away and the rents are around 30k for a new 3bed  apartment with great facilities for expats.apart from this there would be a maintenance of 5 to 6 k.the cost of facilities are as follows
full time maid 12 hours:6-8k
education for kids :50 k per kid aprox
gas facility can be provided for new buildings on omr as its piped gas and not a cylinder.

you might not get a fully furnished flat even if you get that it will certainly be bomb for a  new flat.

I would suggest you to first check in a hotel for a couple of days and then finalise your apartment .give me a ring at *** ....i might be able to help you find an apartment and all the facilities.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons please do not post any contact details on the forum.

Chennai is little bit costly area.. You can find good school RA puram.  Transportation is very costly their.. people are very conservative in Chennai. You never know how and when you would unknowingly hurt someone with a normal or casual talk. Also, the people here differentiate (not discriminates) someone who is not amongst them and treat you differently. According to me i see these things in Chennai rest is depend upon you own view..

I disagree with you Tania,
You probably feel that way maybe coz u don't speak Tamil. People here are really friendly, good to get along with. Chennai'aites who only speak Tamil, are little introvert when it comes to interacting with non-tamil speaking people.. It might seem like you are being seen differently, for this reason or maybe for anyother reason.. i cannot comment on that..
Each individual has sour experiences somewhere or the other..
And Transportation in Chennai is moderate.. have to be careful with auto rikshaws, wen you don't speak tamil... buses and cabs are moderate.

You are right Mujahid...People are friendly here..Chennai is costly...lol... ;)  ..I dont think so..Yes people are conservative..So things goes fine here in the city with less crimes compared to other cities (Northern part)....

And i don't think the answers given my her is not relevant to the request's raised by Desigirl. She was asking opinions on the gated community and the school. And not about the city... :)

RA puram is quiet good and decent location of Chennai , yes it is expensive compared to other locations in Chennai and not costly compared to cities of Mumbai, Gurgaon, Bangalore.
As our friend prashanth said there are good school's around. Also added to the list you can try with Chettinad Vidyashram which is also a good one.. :top:

Hi, I agree with Tanya as I am back to Chennai after 25 years spending outside states and country. It is the conservative state with people find misunderstanding in few seconds as very difficult to learn this culture to avoid conflict here In Chennai. so move carefully and restrict to your business by never minding others bbusiness then you are safe.

First of all my hearty welcome to Chennai, as far as other Indian metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata are concerned Chennai is a little cheaper compared to others. The only toughest thing for many not to prefer Chennai is the temperature. Except the temperature finding houses or accomodation in Chennai is quite an easier job due to the arrival of many online real estate portals like Commonfloor and Grabhouse.com

People who think Chennai is a conservative and not good to live can read this below article and make their mind refresh.... :top:

Chennai Morning Walkers Pool In Money To Fly College Girl Who Lost Her Way And Ended Up In Chennai:
Happened a week back..

Good samaritans are not a myth. A group of walkers at Anna University proved that on Saturday.

When a few walkers saw a woman and a young girl asking people for directions, some of them approached the duo to offer help. On enquiring, the walkers found out that the mother and the daughter were in the wrong city.

R. Swathi, who had scored 1,017 marks in her Plus Two, came with her mother Thangaponnu, a shepherd from their hometown of Musiri in Tiruchi. While they were to be at the Anna Arangam Tamil Nadu Agriculture University in Coimbatore on August 8 for a counseling session ahead of the admissions process, they landed up at Anna University in Chennai by mistake. However, Swathi and her mother's story had a happy ending, thanks to some of the walkers.

In a Facebook post, that has gone viral now, with nearly 15,000 shares, one of the walker's friend posted the entire incident.

The girl and her mother had given up hope of making it to the counselling session in time. However, help came in the most unexpected form. Flight tickets, conveyance and even breakfast were arranged for the women by a walking group called 'Twalkers'.

“They were asked to come to Anna Arangam, Tamil Nadu Agriculture University, Coimbatore, but they reached Anna University by mistake,” M. Saravanan, a former student of College of Engineering, Guindy and a member of the walking group told The Hindu.

The walking group members decided to share the cost of Rs 10,500 for the flight tickets.

The sponsor of the flight tickets transported them by 8:15 am to board the 10:05 am Coimbatore flight. Arrangements were made to pick them up at Coimbatore airport. They reached the University counseling centre by 12:15 pm.

"We took off at 10.05 a.m., landed at 11.28 a.m. and in the next hour we had the admission letter on our hands. It was a miracle," Swathi told The Hindu.

Swathi is now enrolled in a Bachelor of Science programme in bio technology in the Anna Arangam University in Coimbatore. :top:

According to the report, the mother-daughter duo plan to visit Chennai again to return the money for the flight tickets as a gesture of gratitude.

Have you got your apartment for rent or still searching

Hi !  If u still need help in any of your requirements,please let me know. Am ready to assist you in any way i can.

If anyone needs help in finding service apts around injambakkam or neelankari area hit me up Id be glad to help you out as I have become more familiar with this part of chennai