Residence Permit Converted to Permanent Residence Permit

I would like people who know about people that have received a Permanent Residence permit after 3 years. If so, please discuss what permit it was, ie... Occupational, Retired, Investor, Self Employed. Also post if you know people who followed the law and still did not get a Permanent Residence permit. I've done my own investigations and would like feedback from you.

From the research I have conducted myself, I have not heard of a single person that has been able to do so.  I have spoken to numerous people that have come to Mauritius based on the same "marketing" material put out by the government that after fulfilling the three years and income thresholds they could get permanent residency.  In the material as many have read, it basically says that a person need fill in the application and submit it once the requirements have been met, but there is no application and not the BOI or any other body is able to provide it or has even seen it for that matter.

I have spoken with numerous people that run various well-established and well-connected management and consulting companies that advise expats on these issues and they have all told me the same thing.

Good luck finding anyone that has done this as I do not believe it has happened since there is no application.  The only expats I have heard about have had to petition the PM's office directly.  Even then, those expats that I know of that have either received permanent residency or Mauritian passports had been living/working on the island or have been married to a Mauritian as well as living/working on the island.  In each instance, the expats had been living/working in Mauritius for over 10, 15 or even 20 years in some instances.

You can of course go the IRS or RES route, but then you are restricted to having to live in an approved enclave in a ridiculously overpriced cookie-cutter home that looks exactly like ever other home in those communities.