Which area best to live for a Realistic Budget of €1,000.??

Myself and my partner are considering moving to Malta based on a possible job offer for myself in Sliema. However, we are unsure as to the best place for us to live.

My partner will be looking for a bar job (but preferably not in a nightclub) and he does not drive so we are hoping to move somewhere he will be able to find a bar job in walking distance. I drive but was not intending on bringing my car, however if needed then will purchase one there.

We would prefer to live on the coast in at least a 3 bedroom, and within a household budget (rent, utilities & food) of around €1,000.

Does anyone have any advice of the best areas to look and whether this budget is realistic?

As this has a few questions covering different areas I have posted this in a couple of categories.

Many Thanks in Advance :-)

On an area like Sliema (though there are quieter, less congested areas), a 3 bedroom plus food cost in the summer months would be pushing it. Someone else can prob give you info on places like Mellieha, St Paul's Bay, etc, where there would be a lot if seasonal restaurant work.
I was surprised at the cost of living in Sliema/St Julian's.

My problem with those areas is that my job will be in Sliema and with the plan of not bringing a car at first, that may make it a slight mission for me getting to and from work.

What would you say that average cost of living for a couple is in Sliema/St Julian's? What is Gzira like cost of living and is there many bars?

Many Thanks

For sliema I would suggest that you would need to have a budget of about 2000€  - 3 bed properties in this area will be at a premium however you can still get bargains if you live in the surrounding areas ... I would suggest gzira San gwann ta - xbiex in terms of your budget you will still be within busing distance of sliema but will see a massive reduction in the cost of property - bus travel will equate to 26€ a month .
You could also walk or cycle from these areas into sliema .
I would say you don't need a car here however it is an awful lot more convenient to have one .  All the above areas should also have bus and night bus access to at Julian's where there are plenty of bars etc
Food wise of its just the 2 of you I would say you can easily eat comfortable with just €200 a month shopping at lidl another main supermarket and fruit and veg lorries .

Thank you for your advise, Is there any way you could give me an approx. breakdown of the €2000, I have found apartments for circa €600, am I missing something? Thanks

Baxter19 wrote:

Thank you for your advise, Is there any way you could give me an approx. breakdown of the €2000, I have found apartments for circa €600, am I missing something? Thanks

3 bedroom ones ? in sliema?
even at 600 euros a month your going to need 600 euro for first months rent 600 euros for deposit that's 1200 gone before you even start and if its an agent you will need to pay 300 euros to them .

depends when your going to be arriving but during the summer i think it wil be highly unlikely you will find something at about 600 euros a month  i know someone who rents a two bed in naxxar which is inland for about 750 a month and they came in February ..
remember your going to need to rent somewhere fairly decent as  usually the minimum rental term is a year ( this can include a break clause but you need to discuss that when siging contracts)

Yes I have only recently started looking and am looking at estate agent sites, In fairness there is not a great deal of in depth description regarding the properties but I have only looked at ones with pictures, the start up costs (deposit and agents fees) are not too much of a concern, I was just trying to see if a €1,000 monthly budget was realistically doable.

There is a possible chance of us arriving October time all going well with the job offer.

http://www.maltapark.com/search.aspx?se … p;minp=400

These are the majority of properties available now

Many websites for agents aren't up to date or the properties are used to entice you.

In October you will find it easier to get something in your budget but as I say €600 for sliema is unlikely especially for a 3 bed

Your budget does seem low for a three bed if you're wanting to be close to Sliema/St Julian's.  I think you'd have to move more inland, but I can't help with where.  When we were looking for three beds in the same areas, it was really difficult finding anything under €1000 a month, just for rent no utilities.  Some places really are dumps, so if you've seen something in Sliema for as low as that, you'd really need to question why it's so low or whether it even exists at all.

Hi, not much realistic for a 3 bedrooms house in the coast. But nothing is impossible! Sometimes the agencies have houses in they websites witch are no longer available. When I was looking for mine, (I rented online)I explain my budget and just a few agencies replied to me, and I only found one (only)in the end. But I'm happy it is, what I expected within the budget. I have to travelling by bus one hour to Valletta, isn't amazing!!
I thing you must to try find what you want, but maybe it is easy to find close to Sliema, even if you have to take the bus isn't that bad, but park the car in Sliema is also a problem, and the buses are cheap. Good luck!