Travelling in and around Myanmar

Hello everyone,

I am planning a one month and a half solo backpacking trip in SE Asia. I want to begin by Myanmar, then head to Laos and Cambodia if I have the time.
Any good spots in Myanmar I shouldn't miss ? Also, is the overland border between Myanmar and Laos still illegal for individuals ?
Any good thoughts or advice would be very helpful :)
Thanks a lot !

Claire

Claire Guillaud wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am planning a one month and a half solo backpacking trip in SE Asia. I want to begin by Myanmar, then head to Laos and Cambodia if I have the time.
Any good spots in Myanmar I shouldn't miss ? Also, is the overland border between Myanmar and Laos still illegal for individuals ?
Any good thoughts or advice would be very helpful :)
Thanks a lot !

Claire

As far as I am aware you cannot cross from Myanmar to Laos by land.You are best to plan first entering Thailand from Myanmar then across into Laos from there. Perhaps enter Luang Prabang in Laos via Chiang Mai in Thailand then head south through Laos to Pakse where you can travel into Cambodia either by plane from Pakse to Siem Riep or head south to the only land border crossing into Northern Cambodia which issues visa on arrival. If going by road I would recommend you stop off at Dong Khong Island, check out the waterfalls and the laid back island for a couple of days. It is not too far from there to the border crossing.
Do a Google search for latest info.

The new bridge crossing the Mekong between Laos and Myanmar was  officially opened late last month so you may be able to enter Laos there.

Hi Claire,

Like you, Im also an explorer who simply loves going to new places. Presently, I work in Yangon City, Myanmar for almost a year now, which enabled me to roam around the country. I visited the ancient Mandalay City, the new capital Nay Pyi Taw, the picturesque holy place Bagan, the placid Mawlamyine and many other places in Myanmar.

Here are some of the spots you must not miss: the 2500 year old Shwe Dagon Pagoda, the magnificent Inle Lake, the envigorating Ngapali Beach, the hundreds of pagodas in Bagan, the ancient palace of King Thebaw in Mandalay, ride the elephants in Hlawga Park, see also the exotic animals in Nay Pyi taw Zoo and Yangon Zoo, observe the white elephants in Nay Pyi Taw Pagoda vicinity, and finally, relax in Ngwesung Beach in Ayerwaddy Region.

You can never lost vacant time because you may also have a fun time in Ice bar or Mojo Bar in some hotels in Yangon.

When you're in Yangon, feel free to contact any of our friends here.

Happy trip.

Edwin