Thinking about moving to HK need help :(

Hi, I am sure everyone has asked this question so I apoligise now for being boring.
We might have the chance to move to HK,we know that decent sized villa's are expensive and are looking at the Islands near by.  I would like to be where other British Expats live, can someone give me some advice as we don't know where to look.  Also everything I have seen so far looks as though it is going to be too expensive just for everyday living so I thought the best way to find out is ask Brits who are living there at the mo.  I would be so grateful of your help. There will be just my husband and myself.  We like the normal things, going out to bars, restaurants, cinema, but also how much for an average weekly shop? Also if we did move to one of the Islands, do they have shops/bars etc... and is there any price difference to HK? It is all about money I'm afraid.

Islands not Hong Kong island itself? That means you are going to take a ferry back and forth? A ferry can take 30 minutes or more one way. JW

We did find out how long it would take and my husband is ok with that as he travels around 1hr - 1hr 30 mins each way at the moment.  I think he is more concerned about how long it would take from the ferry to the office.
We have no idea of he cost of food, clothes etc.. I am finding it very difficult to find information.
We are living in Dubai at the moment so are seriously thinking of just going to HK for a few days to check it out.  Make some appointments to view villa's, check out supermarkets etc... the only problem will be we don't want to do the tourist places but the places that residents use.

Buttercup wrote:

We did find out how long it would take and my husband is ok with that as he travels around 1hr - 1hr 30 mins each way at the moment.  I think he is more concerned about how long it would take from the ferry to the office.
We have no idea of he cost of food, clothes etc.. I am finding it very difficult to find information.
We are living in Dubai at the moment so are seriously thinking of just going to HK for a few days to check it out.  Make some appointments to view villa's, check out supermarkets etc... the only problem will be we don't want to do the tourist places but the places that residents use.

Yes you two going to Hong Kong and seeing for yourself will be a great choice. Im from USA and i found everything is more expensive in Hong Kong compared to Miami. Except for the monthly cell phone charges. JW

Hello

Lots of Expats live in Lamma Island. The problem with taking the ferry is not only the time but the weather. If for chance it goes to level three then the Ferry will not run. Also, you have to measure where the bus or mtr is as well. Anyways, Lamma Island is supposed to be cheap rent.

Thanks

Been to Lamma and yes if you travel further into the island  the rent will be less but along the coast will be about the same as Hong Kong island. JW

The most difficult part to live in Hong Kong is about Living. Small flat with high rent....quite sad :P

hope you can find a good place after visit Hong Kong

I agree, it costs to live in Hong Kong. If you make the big bucks you can get a 1,200 sq ft place if not then you have to do with an old 500 ft flat. JW

Thanks everyone.  Weren't sure what was happening but we are now going to visit Hong Kong this Friday for 8 days to check it out. 

We don't want to do the tourist places, we will have plenty of time for that when we move(it is looking very very likely) but we want to get a feel for the place and try and find out about places that expats, shop, drink, eat etc...  From what we have read it all sounds great but of course we need to experience it all for ourselves and make sure we can actually afford to live there.

If anyone can suggest some supermarkets, bars, restaurants, not expensive that would be great so we could visit them whilst there. Places that expats use and away from the tourist bars etc.... We are going to be staying on Lantau Island but of course will be visiting as many places as possible to see where it is we think we would like to live. 

Many thanks in advance.

Hi - I am in the same boat and will be in HK from the 15th Nov.

Lucky for me I have been travelling to and from Hk from Sydney and I have got some idea of what places are nice and where to buys things ect.

Feel free to contact me while you're in town. Happy to show you around and we can discover things together.

Hi xoxo_dt

Thanks for the offer, will probably take you up on it. We will be the one's with the confused look on our faces lol

I will be taking my laptop so message me when you will be free and we can arrange something. 

Looking forward to meeting you :)