Might be moving to HCMC soon and need some help!

Hi everyone!!

My name's Lauran and I'm looking to move to HCMC soon. My boyfriend MAY be getting a job over there (fingers crossed!) but it would mean moving in as soon as 4 weeks from accepting the position.
I have a 2:1 Degree in English Lit and History but like everyone else with an Humanities degree I work FT in retail :).
I would obviously get my TEFL and follow a dream to teach but I was just wondering if you can complete your TEFL out there? I know you can do online courses but does anyone have any info about any centres I could attend etc?

Also any tips about flat hunting and where to get the best pho would be super appreciated :)

Thanks so much!
Lauran

Hi.

I will answer your question about TEFL next week if you still need the information.

Pls check this for your apartment

Address of good Pho: https://goo.gl/maps/rOGwu:shy Welcome to HCM.

Regards,

Thank you so much!! The apartment info is very helpful :)

I looked into the four-week Celta program at "ILA Vietnam" (google it) a year ago. I decided not to teach, but Celta certificates appear to be highly regarded by schools. Perhaps a teaching expat will add to this thread. Oh and attending the program in Viet Nam or Bali vs. San Francisco was US$1000 cheaper. The school has a placement program. Ask them for housing tips. I've stayed in good-enough hotels here in the $20-25 range and they might offer weekly rates until you settle somewhere; search with Agoda.

@gobot that's such super advice! Thank you so much - we've been twice so know we don't have to worry about hotel costs that much but didn't know there might be weekly costs! Really great advice, thanks again   :D

Hi,

You already chose TEFL, but as a Vietnamese who spend quite a lot of time studying and experiencing English teaching environment here, I would recommend you a different thing to consider. Would you consider TESOL instead? as I see TESOL is more popular here. Many teaching center here in VN accept TESOL. More importantly, it is not difficult to find a place to study to get this certificate. I, by the way, suggest some places to study: VUS, ILA, Appolo, VATC,... If you change your mind, the next step is just to find study fee and examine the quality.  :)

I believe that with your background and a native speaker look, I won't be difficult to be an English teacher here.

P/S: I am in need of a speaking English partner, pls help me if you can. :thanks:

I'm really open to suggestion so I will definitely look into TESOL! This is again really really helpful advice :) thank you!