Overstayed visa - when can i return to Brasil

Hi,

i can see many posted about overstayed visa so many im slightly confused all it all!

Im British and ive been living in Brasil since Jaunary 2014, my 3 month tourist visa expired on 15th April 2014

Therefore, to date i have overstayed my visa by 13 months.

My question is, if i leave brasil and pay the fine,when can i return to Brasil on another tourist visa?

I read in some posts that the overstayed days are not counted because they are subject to a fine, therefore on payment of the fine my overstay does not count towards my re-entry and therefore i will beable to return to brasil straight away on a tourist visa and obtain the usually 90 days visa on arrival.

Is this correct or have it got it all wrong!

Thanks
Tracy

Theoretically that's absolutely correct. Since overstay days are subject to a fine the Federal Police do not count them when calculating future stay entitlement, so you should be able to return immediately. The wording of the Visa Waiver Program Agreement between the UK and Brazil is 3 months in every 6 month period, based on your FIRST EVER date of entry to Brazil as being the start date.

Since you're going to be dealing with the Federal Police in order to pay the fine it won't hurt to confirm that with them at the same time. As far as I have been told by other members overstay days ARE NOT counted.

Your fine will be a maximum of 100 days (R$828,00)

Cheers,
James         Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James , thank you so much! I've been putting off returning to the UK because I thought I would have to remain there for at least 6 months to accumulate 1 day in Brasil. I will have my boyfriend contact the ferderal police here in manaus, I will post the information here. I think there are many people that are not aware of this, thank you very much!
One more question.. If the agreement between uk and Brasil is 3 months in every 6 months how is it that after receiving an "airport visa" for 90 days , we can then renew for another 90 days- that would mean a stay of 6 months in 6 months ... Imagining there were not previous visits to Brasil
Thanks Tracy

Yes, you're correct; the UK Agreement unlike the Schengen Area Agreement and Visa Waiver Program (VWP) actually contains the provision that UK passport holders can apply for an extension in order to have 180 consecutive days of stay. The other agreements do not, but rather leave it up to the signatory nations. Brazil actually will extend in most cases even Schengen Area and VWP stays.

Thank you! I've just spent hours reading your posts, it's really helpful.

Well , we'll contact the ferderal police and see what they say on the matter, hopefully we won't speak to 10 different people giving 10 different answers.

I 'll post there reply here

Thank you!!

I would recommend that you pay on your way out and make sure the Feds record it and keep the receipt in case you have trouble getting back in.

Exactly right! I want to be clear to come back in .. I will pay the fine on departure

Sorry James, I can confirm with my case, that Policia Federal do not extend stamps for 90 days of tourist from Schenghen countries, They look at the list and see if your country is there or not. So 90 days out of 180 is maximum allowed stay for most EU countries currently. Even the Brazil embassy in my country was wrong on this.

Yes the ability to get an extension on a Schengen  area passport is really a roll of the dice at best, since the body of the text clearly states three months in a six month period. It leaves it completely up to the member nations whether or not they will extend anyway. It really depends on which DPF delegacy you apply at and the mood the agent is in on that particular day.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team