Type of government

Just curious about this.  In CuencaHighLife they refer to the government as a federal government.  (“All funding from the federal government for the project has been provided,” Correa said. “The city will need to find the money if it wants to add more facilities,” he said)

If it is true, I never new that - nor do my neighbors who are Ecuadorians.

I couldn't find the article in the local papers that referrd to that quote.

The federal nature of Ecuador's government was well established by the time of the Constitution of 1861, which guaranteed the secret ballot in the direct election of federal legislators.

Historically, the government of Ecuador has been instable over the centuries, and the nation has long been composed of provinces not states. 

source...mongabay.com

It specially states that it is a federal govt?  In a federal system there is a clear division between the national govt and the provincial govt - say the Federal Republic of Germany or the US where each province/state has its own legislature that makes laws for that state/province.

I have read that Ecuador is more a unitary system of govt.  And it doesn't seem to fit the standard definition of a federal system of govt.  Would like to see the site that states it is a federal system for my own edification.

quito0819 wrote:

I have read that Ecuador is more a unitary system of govt.  And it doesn't seem to fit the standard definition of a federal system of govt.  Would like to see the site that states it is a federal system for my own edification.

Although Ecuador's national government officially is a unitary presidential republic, it still fits the definition of a federal government as presented in widely-accepted dictionaries.

From the A-Rose-Is-A-Rose Department:  Although it is a federal government, any insistence on seeing it officially listed as federal may leave you SOL.

El Supremo's statement calling it federal (Report 1 of this thread) may be as close as you´re going to get.

Sources: Oxford Dictionaries, Merriam-Webster Dictionary, saexplorers.org

cccmedia in Quito

Not the definitions I read of a federal republic.  I've tried to find the Spanish version of the President's words but no luck.  A unitary presidential republic is a very different animal from a federal republic.

Not really very important to my day to day life.  There was no citation in CuenacHighLife (or if there was, I missed it) as to where the quote came from.

No, to my knowledge that is not true. I can't say more, which can tell you a lot.