Exchanging UK driving license for a Maltese license

Hello,

I'm after some information if any one can help, my full clean UK driving license has to be exchanged due to work here in Malta.

How long does this process take? Can I speed it up? What correspondence do they have with the DVLA can I contact to try and hurry it up (i know wishful thinking but worth a try...)

Any info is appericated! Thanks guys 😊

Hello,

When looking into this ourselfs we found this web page useful

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

Cheers
Adam

Its very straight forward, you just take your old licence to TM ,they give you a receipt and advise you when your Maltese EU licence is ready for collection.

Photo copy your licence before you hand it over, mine took TM about two weeks.

Terry

When I went to change mine TM said  "don't bother until it's due to run out" !

Ray

That's Maltese for "I cannot be bothered"

DVLA say.
"If you're moving abroad, you can't register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence."

Plus in Malta you still get the two part licence so potentially now less hassle when hiring a car abroad.

Terry

I will have to change mine at the end of the year as I will have reached the age where I need a note from the Doctor to say I am still alive!

When my wife's was due a couple of years ago we used our son's address in the UK but she is now 'illegal' again as he has moved to Germany!

Ray

Hi guys. Thanks for getting back to me,

I have gone to TM given my information and now have a receipt, but no one could give me a straight answer as to how long?

So my question is to anyone who has exchanged their license with TM, how long did it take?

How do they know that you have been living in malta for 185 days?....

Maria00091 wrote:

Hi guys. Thanks for getting back to me,

I have gone to TM given my information and now have a receipt, but no one could give me a straight answer as to how long?

So my question is to anyone who has exchanged their license with TM, how long did it take?

They have to check with the DVLA that your licence is valid, ours took about two weeks.
It will depend on how quick  the DVLA are.

Terry

As mentioned above, the time taken relies on a reply from DVLA. Don't fall into the trap that many on here seem to do, of blaming Maltese inefficiency, when the problem is elsewhere.

Ok so I have just got my maltese licence.. Here are the steps... In malta not Gozo

1. Need a passport photo
2. Go to transport malta floriana (hall C)
3. Ask for driving licence exchange form
4. Fill out form attaching photo.. They will give you a letter and tell you that they will be in contact within 2 weeks..
5.Then letter arrives (yay :-) the letter tells you to take letter to transport malta floriana (hall C) with your ID card and old driving licence.
6. Hand in licence and €80 and you will receive a temporary licence, they will tell you that your licence (card) will be sent in the post within 10 days.

So a few things you need to know..you need a ID card before you can apply, also you need to be in the country for 185 days.. However you can make the application before 185 days... If move to malta and you have been living here for say 4 months... And then you apply for ID card .. When u collect ID card it will say the date you collected it... So when you Go to transport malta to apply for driving licence they will go on the date of your ID card... So you then have to prove you have been here for 185 days... But don't panic! Because you can use your tenancy agreement has proof! So hope this helps peeps good luck!  :D

(Mine to 3 weeks start to finish)

Went to TM in Gozo and they have warned me that, as my licence runs out in 2 months time they may not have had confirmation back from the DVLA in time!

Another thing that came to light is that your new Maltese licence will not include any D categories you may currently have on your UK licence as you have to undergo additional testing for these in Malta.
I have had D1 and D1E for 45 years but I apparently need further training!

Ray

If you have an  EU driving licence then you do not have to exchange it for a Maltese driving licence.

Unless you are approaching 70 or your EU licence does not have a 10 or 15 year expiry date (a French driving licence for instance does not have an expiry date, so should be exchanged).

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve … dex_en.htm

Groups are now harmonised across the EU but local differences are allowed.

Some categories like C and D will be issued for five years only. After expiration, a medical check-up is necessary in order to renew the licence for another five years.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

If you have an  EU driving licence then you do not have to exchange it for a Maltese driving licence.

Unless you are approaching 70 or your EU licence does not have a 10 or 15 year expiry date (a French driving licence for instance does not have an expiry date, so should be exchanged).

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve … dex_en.htm

Groups are now harmonised across the EU but local differences are allowed.

Some categories like C and D will be issued for five years only. After expiration, a medical check-up is necessary in order to renew the licence for another five years.

Terry

Mine has to be renewed as it expires at the end of the year as I then reach 70.
Whilst I was told by TM 3 years ago not to worry exchanging it till expiry I did not bother but technically it is no longer legal in the UK as it does not show the correct address and you can not have a foreign address on a UK licence.
The D categories in Malta not only require further tests but also would require me to supply a medical report each year.

Ray

I have a old green paper one from UK expires 2031 that i want to exchange for a Maltese one i understand these are not valid in UK will this present a problem if i go to Transport Malta to apply for one

Shouldn't be a problem as TM check with the DVLA regarding entitlement before issuing a Maltese licence.

Terry