JOBS IN OMAN

Hallo fellow members,

Firstly its a relief to get this blog. I feel I can pour my heart out. I feel am not alone.

Anyway dont be startled, am just like desperate.

I moved to Oman about five months ago with my kids who have attained their nationality since am married to a National.  Since then I have seriously been looking for a Job all in vain.  Professionaly I am an experienced secretary. I hold a bachelors degree in Political Science from india.

Am so frustrated sitting at home doing nothing the whole day (of course apart from the house chores). I have even tried supermarket tiller jobs, but was informed I have to get authourisation from Ministry of Man power. Went to Man power, they asked for a contract from prospective employer. Now how can I get a job contract before I get Job. My husband has no issues with me working and is ready to sign any document to  enable me get a job.  Please help me out

I think it is easier to get a job while outside than inside the Sultanate.

Hi yu72,

The job market  in the Sultanate for all expatriates, and expatiate women in particular is really frustrating.

The slew of new rules and regulations being introduced by the authorities in an effort to "regularise the local job market" is working counter productive to the national cause. But then who are we, as expatriates, to complain.

There is a lot of discussions and debates going on around in various mass media platforms regarding the pros and cons of 'Omanisation'. But for the expatriate there is hardly a glimmer of hope.

The way things are going, it would only go from bad to worse. More and more jobs currently being held by the expatriates would have to be relinquished to the locals - sooner than later.

Nothing is going to change dramatically overnight. But the process has well and truly been put in place to ease out as many expatriates as the country can possibly afford to.

As one married to a national, you should be much better off compared to the rest.

Hi

@ Sumitran thanks for enlightening me.

Being married to national doesnt make anything any easier. The regulations for exparts applies to all regardless of relations. And frankly speaking that makes it more frustrating. Coz  you expect to get consolation for the close relations ties but nothing.

Would it be advisable for me to offset some properties in my country of origin and invest here. That is taking advantage of the relationship ties.

Advise please and thanks to much.  All these is quite a relief.

Hi yu72,

Think twice before investing locally, unless you are having long-term plans.

For starters, as an expatriate you cannot own property in Oman, except in some designated Freehold Zones, or in some Integrated Tourism Complexes (ITCs). Here too you cannot own a property for ever and for eternity (unlike back home) !! You have to pay a fancy sum of money only to lease the property for about 99-years, or lesser ! The procedures though are designed in such a way to attract foreign investments, but it is ultimately going to be for the benefit of the state.

By owning a property in any of the few ITCs in the country, you will also get an 'Investor Visa' which would help you stay in the Sultanate for an extended period of time, unlike an employment visa, which needs to be renewed every 2 years.

Hiiz to all.  Hope all is well with everyone.
@ Sumitran thanks.

The situation is a bit tricky.  Was thinking on facts that my kids are nationals and since they are still minors, long term plans are in place InshaAllah.

Its just that sitting around doing nothing is not my style.

Would you happen to know  or have an idea of  how long the" stand off" for employing female expatriates is gonna last. 

Is there a fee for attending Forum get together?

yu72 wrote:

Hiiz to all.  Hope all is well with everyone.
@ Sumitran thanks.

The situation is a bit tricky.  Was thinking on facts that my kids are nationals and since they are still minors, long term plans are in place InshaAllah.

Its just that sitting around doing nothing is not my style.

Would you happen to know  or have an idea of  how long the" stand off" for employing female expatriates is gonna last. 

Is there a fee for attending Forum get together?

Hey, I do understand where you are coming from, I hate being jobless, it suffocates you to the core esp if you invested a lot in Education and all.you end up getting desperate and take any job as long as it will pay some of e bills n keep your mind.which might help but in the long run you keep.cursing when.you realize that you aint yielding enough but you hold onto hope.with a will.of light at the end of the tunnel.
Its even hard in a foreign hard.all I can suggest is for you to try out something, invent or innovate something.if you draw n paint, try to put all your thoughts on canvases. If you can.weave or make crafty bracelets then do it.you can search for voluntary organisations n try to get involved for a while.if your kids are in school, you can create a rapport.with e administration. You can.be that distinct parent on PTA committee. Try searching for online jobs too.put your guard everywhere..good luck

No there is no fee for get together