Documents needed when leaving from South Africa

Hi Fellow Ex-South Africans in Malta,

I was wondering if anyopne could help us out.
We will be leaving South Africa for Malta next year and wanted to find out what documents do we need to have if we are boarding a plane with a one way ticket to Malta.

I am in the process of obtaining a Tax clearance certificate, is this necessary? We will still be running our businesses out of SA but will have permanent Residency in Malta.

We also have a new born on the way and a daughter of 5 will we need just the birth certificates.

Thanks for your advice.

Do you mean which documents so that you will be allowed on the plane to leave SA and allowed through immigration in Malta - or just generally, which documents you will need in your new life in Malta (to which my answer would be, bring EVERYTHING you have!).

When we left the UK with one-way tickets to Malta, Easyjet almost refused to allow my wife to fly - she's non EU. Finally, with the gate just about closing they allowed us through after reviewing my leter of employment from the Malta company I was to start work for. Easyjet's point to us was, if my wife was refused entry, Easyjet would be on the hook for the cost of bringing her back to the UK. So, with one-way tickets you will have to have documentation that you can show at the SA end that will convnce them you will be allowed in when you reach Malta....I don't know what that documentation is in your case...I'm sure someone else on this forum can help though.

Tim

Thanks Hammersfan

We will obviously bring all our docs with us - but being in SA there are always new rules so I wanted to find out what we need to leave i.e get on the plane. The last thing I want is to pack up our life here and upon boarding the place they say "Sorry for you"

I have written to INternational Relaiton department http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/legalisation.htm - but as usual the parameters are not clearly defined.
I am wanting to specifcally know wether we need tax clearance certificate from SARS.

I am sure there are many Ex-SA's that have gone through immagration before - hopefull one of them will stumble accross my post.

Hi,

You will definitly need to arrange the CIR certificate in advance.With this you are entitled to Permanent Residency as long as the requirements are filled.This is the only way you can get Perm.Residency in Malta as a third-country national.
You can arrange this in advance and it gives you one year to arrive in Malta and fulfill the attached conditions.

Any other option(work permit,studies and so on) grants you a temporary residence permit for a max. of one year that will need to be renewed yearly and not extended for more than 3 times.Any other arrangement would have to be discussed with the relevant authorities.

South Africa is not part of the visa waiver programm for the Schengen area so you will need the right visa when you arrive.If it is a tourist visa you will need a return flight ticket.

My understanding is that Malta will not care about South African taxes . You just have to follow the financial requirements for the Permanent Residence Scheme.

Ricky

Ricky - a temporary residence permit can be extended more than three times, but you can't guarantee it, and in most cases you won't be able to. However, one of my friends managed it, based on their work permit.

Hi Ricky

We have already submitted our applciation for Permanent Residency - that is a given. I am more concerned with the Tax Clearance Certificate...

Hi George,

That is interesting news! The first time I actually heard the temporary residence permit has been extended more than three times.
I presume it has to be renewed every year new .Where any other terms and conditions involved?
Thanks for the info.

I'll check, but I think they were given a permanent visa as its past the 5 years.

Thanks George,

That would be even better news for third-country nationals!

Hi All,

I want to know if any South Africans have recently gone through the immagration process to get clarity on a few issues. I have been told that I need to get documents legalized by Notary lawyer, Magistrates/Highy court AND Department, Really? Each of these except the lawyer take 4-6 weeks, and the lawyers rate is R1,200 per hour.

I have also been informed that our baby (due at end March) will need thier own passport, before we can book tickets to Malta - not to mention that we can only start our entire application process once we have the new passport also Legalized. Anyone have any suggestions or comments.

"If you need copies of documents to be legalised (i.e. passport, ID, work contract, etc), these need to be notarised by a Notary Public (any lawyer who is registered as a notary), legalised by the Registrar of the High Court or Magistrate before submitting these to the Department. Copies of official documents signed by a member of the South African Police Service are not accepted. The Legalisation Section cannot legalise copies of documents, whether these are certified true copies or not.

My understanding would be that the documents first need to be notarised by a lawyer who is registered as a notary, then they should be legalised by the registrar of the high court or magistrate and finally they should be submitted to the legalisation section of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation/Chief Directorate Consular Services for an apostille.