Where do I start???

My husband and I are currently living in Florida and have just recently retired. It is too expensive to continue living here on a fixed income, so we are thinking of relocating to Panama. We do not speak Spanish and don't have the faintest idea on what to do. I know we have to take a trip there to decide where we'd like to be, but don't know of any reliable travel agents or tour guides. Where should we stay? Should we rent a car and travel around by ourselves? How do we keep from being ripped off? What should be our sequence of events? Will we need a lawyer to help us? Any advice you can give us will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Research Panama first and decide what areas you are interested in and rent a car and drive to each location.  A good book "Retirement without Borders by Barry Golson gives a report card on each area, things for you to consider before moving there. 

Keep intouch as share info on your visit.

Sincerely,

Destiny

Pick another country!!! Too much BS here.

Jim,

Like where?

Jon

Anywhere but Central America.  :cool:

Hey Jim,

What makes you say Panama is a bad destination. I have heard from several people that are enjoying their retirement.

I've lived here on and off for over 30 years and I can assure you that it has become a nightmare to get things done. Since the USA has taken over many of the countries vis a ve "Trade Agreements" and "Tax Treaties" and the ever popular "War on Drugs" the resentment of the Gringos has grown. Anything that you have to deal with the government is always a problem. You are dealing with people who have no clue what they are suppose to be doing and even worse, don't know their own laws here. They are mostly political appointees. When the government changes....they are out the door and a new group of morons is in and the nightmare begins all over for you.

Yes you can have a simple life here but if you want to build a house or file for residency, get a drivers license or register a car brought from the USA(Not recommended)...then the nightmares begin. Even better open or change bank accounts. Now there's a train wreck for you. You'd think you were trying to rob them or steal state secrets.

BTW, stay away from Multibank and HSBC. They are the worst to do business with.

Martinelli is a puppet of the USA. He is trying to impose regulations that the UN and the USA want. He just imposed a moratorium on the importation of new guns and ammo into Panama. Thank you USA and UN. Its bad enough that you are put through the wringer when trying to make them legal and get your permit. The locals get'm in 60 days or less. The gringos...6 months to never!!!! Oooppsss, we lost your gun or test ammo.

You may want to consider the Pacific Islands or New Zealand.

Anyway enjoy your retirement.

Jim