Info about areas just outside of Sliema, St Julian's & Paceville?

Hi all! I'm planning on moving to Malta over the next few months and, as I'm self-employed and work from home, I'm not tied to having to live in any particular area. I'm also in no particular hurry so I'm happy to take my time in finding the right place to live.

I'm well aware of Sliema, St Julian's & Paceville as areas that are lively and close to the sea, however I'm quite interested in finding out more about the areas that are a little bit further inland, just outside of these places. What are places like Swieqi, San Gwann, Kappara, Swatar, Santa Venera like to live in compared to the places above?

I want to spend around €500 per month on rent and I wondered if these areas might offer better value for money? I'm 34 and single so I'm trying to find the balance between value for money with a comfortable home and home office, whilst also not being too far away from areas with a decent social life.

Do those areas have any social scene of their own? Are they mainly residential? Do they actually provide better value accommodation? Are the more lively areas easy to get to?

I'm coming over next month to have a good look around, but I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on those areas (and any others I should consider) as I know very little about them.

All opinions, views and suggestions very welcome! Many thanks!

Hi!

I've been here 3 months now and live on the Sliema/St Julians border, rent here is very expensive which I found out when I came here as I struggled on my budget of €550. I settled for a studio in the end, but for the time being it's fine whilst I build up business.

I have seen decent places in the areas you mentioned for a lot cheaper than round here so you will be fine with that budget. As far as getting to the Sliema/St Julians area some of those places such as Swieqi are walking distance, not sure about the others but buses are seriously cheap. €6.50 for an all week open ticket. Not sure about the night life in those areas either but I reckon go for either Gzira or Swieqi as they will be cheaper and walking distance to Sliema/St Julians.

Let me know when you're over!

Cheers,
Andrew

We've been in Swieqi since February and we love it.  It's residential with a few shops and stuff, but the nightlife is more within Paceville and St Julian's.  It's within walking distance though, so nothing is too far.  Where we are it's very quiet, but I think some parts of Swieqi do have trouble with noise.  I've not worked out which part that is yet because the agents always say the apartments they're trying to rent are in the quiet part and the closer to the bridge towards Paceville the noisier it gets. We live right next to the bridge that takes you down to Spinola bay, not the bridge that takes you to Paceville and there's no noise at all here, completely peaceful day and night so it's great for working from home.  I'm not sure about your budget for Swieqi because we've only ever looked at three beds, but it's not one of the cheaper places.

Andrew & Sam4321 - Thank you very much for your very useful information and insights!

Swieqi really sounds like a serious place to consider living so I'll definitely be exploring the area when I'm over!

Thanks so much!  :)

Worth considering Bahar ic-Caghaq aka  White Rocks. It's a village 5 minutes away from Swieqi whilst heading north on the coast road

Every summer Swieqi residents complain of noise and rowdyism emanating from the multitudes of students and mainly young people living there due to close proximity to Paceville and the lower rental prices compared to St. Julians.

Of course not all  youngsters behave this way and the residency is constantly changing so a quiet street one week can be hell the following week. It also concentrates on the routes to and from Paceville.

To judge the situation in a certain area you will definitly have to visit later in the evening. What appears to be a quiet street during the day can totally change after dark.

Another nice and quieter area is St. Julians village. Very residential area not to close to Paceville but a short walk down the hill ( and back up again -)))

San Gwann and Kappara would be oth options close to Sliema/St. Julians.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky

What would your opinion be of Victoria gardens?we are considering a place there and can't find any details on whether its noisey or not

Hi

Did you decide on a place in the end?

We are considering Victoria gardens near tal I Bragg

I'd welcome any view on your experience since May!

Thanks!

Rob

I doubt very much that it is noisy there although it might be just the opposite - too quiet.

It is a residential area between ibragg and San Gwann. You probably need a car if you decide to live there.

You should go there and look around . There are just a few streets with villas and detached houses - I would say very upper class Maltese residential area. Check for dogs though. Some people tend to leave their dogs outside.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks

That's really helpful

A post in today's newspaper documents the ongoing noise and vandalism problems for Swieqi residents:

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 6736140468

Those that don't hear the noise are either lucky or deaf -)))

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

A post in today's newspaper documents the ongoing noise and vandalism problems for Swieqi residents:

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 6736140468

Those that don't hear the noise are either lucky or deaf -)))

Cheers
Ricky

We must be lucky because there's no noise at all where we live. Day and night it's totally silent, so there is at least one part of Swieqi that is quiet.