Considering Moving to Budapest - where to stay and learn the language?

I am considering moving to Budapest as an experiment for 2-3 months.
Any recommendations on clean cheap apartments to stay in?
A local language school where I can learn the basics (I speak english, zero Hungarian)?
I don't necessarily need a job but it wouldn't hurt.

GeoffG wrote:

I am considering moving to Budapest as an experiment for 2-3 months.
Any recommendations on clean cheap apartments to stay in?
A local language school where I can learn the basics (I speak english, zero Hungarian)?
I don't necessarily need a job but it wouldn't hurt.

Just Google it. There's lots of info out there BUT cheap apartments and jobs usually more accessible if you can speak Hungarian otherwise you will pay a premium due to (a pathetic?) lack of easily accessible market information.

A lot of Hungarians are terrible at languages (dare I say even worse than the British). I would not recommend Hungary (and I live there) unless there's some special reason (like family connections).

It's a lot easier in Croatia and the language is more accessible. It's also a usefully transferrable experience to all the countries in the former Yugoslavia and can help with other slavic languages.

If you only have US citizenship you can not be legally employed in Hungary unless you come on a work visa. If you have citizenship in any EU country you can then be employed without issue.

Most cheaper flats will want a long term contract to rent out but if you come in the summer it is possible to rent short term from owners that usually rent during the school year to foreign students.We did that one time for 2 months in the city during summer, the flat was free all summer until Sept. when a new batch of students came into the city. Messy flat with beer bottles all over but it was in a great location and we cut a deal for only 6 weeks rental time.
It helps allot if you can read and or speak Hungarian to get a lower price but in any case you could check out craigslist Budapest or kapu.hu, that site is in HU though.
Many real estate firms handle rentals but not sure about just for a few months.
Language schools, well honestly I don't expect many people to learn much Hungarian in only 2 or 3 months time. you could start now on line just to learn a few basic words.