Vehicle Search - What Seems To Be A Scam

We have been in San Juan for five months and originally did not want a vehicle because we live in Old San Juan, but we now want a vehicle and everyone says to check out clasificadosonline.com, which we have done.  We have located a few vehicles of interest that in the description show the vehicle is in one of the neighboring cities.  Once we text or email, we get a long email outlining the car is in fact not in San Juan with details about shipping with Dependable Auto Shipper (DAS), pay 40% to 50% down for shipping, once the vehicle arrives you would have 7-14 days to test it out before paying the balance.  This sounds like a scam to us.  I said that in one of my reply emails to a seller and she was offended.  What makes it really seem suspicious, this happened to us twice yesterday and each email was almost identical.  Has anyone encountered this situation?  Any suggestions or names of a safe place to purchase a used vehicle.  Thanks.

Wow, it does sound like a scam.  I don't have any ideas for you but wish you the best of luck!

Thanks.  They continually tell us they are not a scam and can be trusted.  Too pushy for my taste.  We may have to pay more, but will go to a dealer.  Usually if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Whether or not this is a scam it sounds weird and you should stay away. I bought my 2007 Yaris via classificados with no problem. You should only buy from an owner of the car and you should call them on the phone, not text or email. I found that the good cars go fast so what I would do is get up early and if I found something I wanted I'd call right away. I bought the Yaris for $7,700 and it's been great. I did a lot of research beforehand was specifically looking for a 2007 Yaris and got one.

We drove a rental Yaris one year and it was a great little car :)

dcarterbriscoe wrote:

We have been in San Juan for five months and originally did not want a vehicle because we live in Old San Juan, but we now want a vehicle and everyone says to check out clasificadosonline.com, which we have done.  We have located a few vehicles of interest that in the description show the vehicle is in one of the neighboring cities.  Once we text or email, we get a long email outlining the car is in fact not in San Juan with details about shipping with Dependable Auto Shipper (DAS), pay 40% to 50% down for shipping, once the vehicle arrives you would have 7-14 days to test it out before paying the balance.  This sounds like a scam to us.  I said that in one of my reply emails to a seller and she was offended.  What makes it really seem suspicious, this happened to us twice yesterday and each email was almost identical.  Has anyone encountered this situation?  Any suggestions or names of a safe place to purchase a used vehicle.  Thanks.

It sounds like a scam and smells like a scam. If you need to prosecute them, who are they?
Stay away from that.

Get somebody that reads Spanish and go over the Sunday newspaper classifieds

Please DO NOT fall for it. clasificadosonline.com is fairly safe, but it seems scammers have begun to penetrate it. Just report the ad . Depending on your budget, you may be safer trying at a car dealer and getting a used car there.