Dog groomers

Has anyone had experice with dog groomers in Malta or is a dog groomer. I have a very successful mobile in home grooming business in the UK and was hoping to start up in Malta when we move. Any experiences or advice would be appreciated,
Natalie

There is at least one mobile dog groomer that operates around Mellieha (not sure if he has any travel restrictions) and he is always booked months ahead.

There are also lots of shop based dog groomers around and our local one charges around €25 for our 25kg springer.
She rents space in our local pet shop.

Terry

I have a dog sitting business in the US (in my home or yours) considering moving business to Malta when I go.  Anyone paid for dog sitting in Malta?  Rates?

There are always people looking for pet sitting/ pet grooming but it seems to be something lots of people are getting into or starting up on their own so competion will be rife

Is there a free local paper for advertising or where do you look to find a groomer, I want to stick with in home grooming as the dogs are happier and that's what I love. Good to know another mobile groomer is booked in advance. I'm not worried about compition as there is loads here but I have 15 years experience and awards for grooming, once I get a customer they never leave, it's going to be really hard telling them I'm moving when we do as I've been grooming a lot of them from pups and I know the owners will not be happy as they are loyal to me also I will really miss the dogs as I bond with them all. I'll be giving myself a year to build up customers, I just have to get my advertising right so any advice on that would be appreciated. Thank you for your replys,
Natalie

Gernats wrote:

Is there a free local paper for advertising or where do you look to find a groomer, I want to stick with in home grooming as the dogs are happier and that's what I love. Good to know another mobile groomer is booked in advance. I'm not worried about compition as there is loads here but I have 15 years experience and awards for grooming, once I get a customer they never leave, it's going to be really hard telling them I'm moving when we do as I've been grooming a lot of them from pups and I know the owners will not be happy as they are loyal to me also I will really miss the dogs as I bond with them all. I'll be giving myself a year to build up customers, I just have to get my advertising right so any advice on that would be appreciated. Thank you for your replys,
Natalie

Any sort of professional  service will go down well in Malta, especially with expats.
Standards of service in Malta a pretty low and its not unusual to go for an appointment only to find its been cancelled or the person cannot be bothered to turn up on time!
Its very laid back ...or very frustrating depending on what you expect.

Just as an example we are currently trying to obtain a replacement Dog passport.
We travel a lot in the EU and the dogs current (Maltese) passport is full.
Visited our local vet, he has no passports because the new ones due to be issued in Jan 2015 have not arrived.
Emailed animal health Malta who say its not us and give another email to contact.
The reply from  the new contact says that our vet has to request a new passport giving the dogs details then travel to Valletta to collect it.
Our vet has now gone on holiday so another wait to tell him what he has to do!
grrrr

In the meantime our booked ferry date looms closer.

For free adds...
http://www.maltapark.com/listings.aspx?category=31http://freeads.com.mt/
Terry

Laid back is brillient but I know when you want a job done it should be done, hubby is a builder by day and DJ by night so hopefully he should get work somewhere, he has worries but I have none. Thank you for the links Terry but been working all day so will check them out tomorrow