Customers Review : Melita worst Inetrent Service Provider

Hi folks
yesterday I got this email from Melita :

Code:

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Kindly note that Melita's records are showing that your internet usage (Download and/or Upload) for Account ID xxxxxx is well above the average amount of data used by all subscribers with the same type of subscription. Your download and upload levels are measured every day for the previous 30 days. In line with Melita's Acceptable Usage Policy and your package Download Limit, your internet speed is being reduced to ensure your usage does not impact other subscribers on the network. At the end of this period you will revert back to your package speed.

What can I do?

Most importantly we recommend you check whether the package you are using is suitable enough for your needs. If you regularly go beyond your download limit you should consider switching to a higher volume package. You may contact our sales advisors on 27279977 who will be able to assist you with the package most suitable to your needs.

What affects download and upload volume?

Internet services that impact your usage levels the most are peer-to-peer sites or Torrents used to watch or download movies or TV series. Anything you access through the internet, be it reading the news, watching a video on YouTube, or using pages such as Facebook affect your download and upload volume. If you have more than one computer, mobile or tablet connecting to your internet connection more volume will be downloaded.

How to monitor my internet usage volume?

To monitor your Internet download levels you may download the free MyMelita App for Android Smartphones running v2.3 onward from Google Play store (www.melita.com/MyMelitaAndroid) or for Apple Smartphones running iOS v7.0 onward from the App Store (www.melita.com/MyMelitaApple) Accessing the App is easy and you just need your MyMelita log details.

Contacting Melita for Upgrading your package

For full contact options please visit www.melita.com/contactus. To upgrade to a higher volume package you may contact our sales advisors on 27279977 who will be able to assist you with the package most suitable to your needs.

Best regards

Melita Customer Care team

I was never told there is a limit not to exceed and never signed on such an agreement! moreover their website do not indicate anything about the monthly limit here is the link : http://www.melita.com/company/terms-con … nt-policy/ and here is a screenshot kept for history records : http://i.imgur.com/YHpVqDd.jpg

I called their hotline and said how you want your customers to have a better control on their consumption when you don't provide them access to their daily usage coz when you connect to your account on https://my.melita.com you get this pop up : http://i.imgur.com/AUWBpaH.jpg

I got really surprised when their agent replied : I can give you your consumptions if you want.

Really shocking! This means that all customers have to go to Melita outlet everyday or call them by phone to ask how much data we consumed and how much is remaining.

is this company real ? I ended up with less than 1 Mega Internet connection, slow browsing and my kids are complaining as they can't watch their cartoons on streaming or on youtube!

I got a Vodafone connection backup to handle this stupid case!  :mad:

Don't worry, they can be worst!

The My Melita is a piece of sh... made by amateurs, the support system is close of nothing.

I spent 5 months to correct my bill when I changed my plan (by the same "problem" that you had) because they merged two different plans in one, without cancel the first one. Result: almost € 300 of overdue balance.

After these 5 months talking by mail, "support" and phone and intimidation to call the MCA, they solved the situation but I still have € 200 in credits with them waiting for a new soap opera when I finish the contract.

They're trained to make your life a mess ;)

Regards and lucky

"– Unlimited downloads (Traffic Management Policy) "
"A significant percentage of Melita's internet traffic goes overseas and needs to traverse across third party networks, for which capacity  and access is neither free nor always instantaneously available. In the event of congestion on this portion of the network, Melita may temporarily reduce transit of certain traffic types to allow for better quality of service on higher priority traffic."

Wow, that's one provider I will avoid like the plague.
What a lousy excuse for limiting people's traffic when it says it should be "Unlimited".

"A significant percentage of Melita's internet traffic goes overseas and needs to traverse across third party networks"
That's what ALL internet does, that's what the Internet IS.

Because we fry your chicken in oil and use electricity we need to charge you more than all other restaurants that do exactly the same.
I think those people are scam artists :)

Ludicrous!

I had this issue once with PlusNet in the UK.

How much data were you using, out of curiosity? It is very poor they don't provide a tool (that works!) to inform the user.

In the UK the terms & conditions are very clear you have just to read them
in the UK, u get a very detailed report of your consumption whenever u need the info 24/24 7/7
they used to provide these details few years back  they' don't do it anymore, sounds very dodgy

to be fair i cant say they were bad in my experience of 6yrs usage - they operate a "reasonable usage policy" whatever that is in terms of download....  - and in that time i used internet for two years for tv purposes watching HD and SD plus dvd qualities day and night and never ever had a problem with any limit .... we had the 30mbps service with telephony and thats all...... nothing special

and top of that before we have the kodi system we used to use p2p sites all the time and download lots of stuff... mainly overnight between 11pm and 7am as that didnt go against the limits.

maybe they've cottoned on to yet another money spinner

so heaven knows what you were using.

In my case they gave me an answer: "you use too much upstream bandwidth to send small files for the web" (I'm a web developer and yes, I send a lot of files for the web, all of them with a small size). To "solve" the problem, they forced me to make an upgrade for a business plan with a fixed IP over the same bandwidth (30Mbit).

In my experience, this couldn't be the problem but, who knows?

pmichelazzo wrote:

In my case they gave me an answer: "you use too much upstream bandwidth to send small files for the web" (I'm a web developer and yes, I send a lot of files for the web, all of them with a small size). To "solve" the problem, they forced me to make an upgrade for a business plan with a fixed IP over the same bandwidth (30Mbit).

In my experience, this couldn't be the problem but, who knows?

You're kidding right?
They forced you to pay more for sending text files over the internet?
Text files that use a lot of upstream?!?!
Really? o_o

I think they purchased a low bandwidth contract from whoever provides connection to the island and then they cut their customers while giving them phony baloney reasons as excuses.

If sending html and jpeg files from their users triggers their usage rules they must be using 54k modems.
Or what's more probable, if you try to become an internet provider selling your home internet to people, you will have the problems they seam to be having.

I hope that there are other descent providers in Malta. : (

Deithrian, believe me, it's true. After 25 years working with Internet, this was the best excuse that I heard from a communication provider.

After that, I ask them: "so, I can send 50 dual-layer Blu-ray discs, right? (~2.5 TB size)" The answer: "yes, you can".

I think they use some old meter that count just the number of the files, not the size :-p

The fact of watching movies on streaming/p2p like Kodi (ex XBMC) doesn't mean that u have a perfect internet connection or the connection you are paying for, am not going to give a lesson on the streaming protocols and how the streaming providers adjusts the connection according to your buffering as this might be technical for you and it is not the point of this discussion.

I don't mind to get limited if I go over the limit but tell me my rights and obligations and show them CLEARLY in the terms and conditions and get me access to my daily consumption so I know how much is remaining in my piggy bank but deciding to take my supposed 30 Mbps to 1 Mbps of such a sudden is totally not honest or unprofessional they can choose!

Now when I call the agent and he suggests me to upgrade or to wait till the end of month cycle! then it is another story!

pmichelazzo wrote:

Deithrian, believe me, it's true. After 25 years working with Internet, this was the best excuse that I heard from a communication provider.

After that, I ask them: "so, I can send 50 dual-layer Blu-ray discs, right? (~2.5 TB size)" The answer: "yes, you can".

I think they use some old meter that count just the number of the files, not the size :-p

Very interesting!.

Couple of Big files = ok
Many small files = bad

I'm not an expert, but this means to me that their servers can't handle the load of many user requests, because many files = many requests.
This is even worst than if they have purchased a low bandwidth plan.
This means that even if they have the capacity, they don't have the processing power.
Or even worst, since they forced you to upgrade, they have both bandwidth and processing power, but their goal is to milk you :)

Yes, that's the point. They have bandwidth but they don't have power processing.

Darlin wrote:

Now when I call the agent and he suggests me to upgrade or to wait till the end of month cycle! then it is another story!

Is choice of internet providers in Malta so slim? Is it hard to switch to another provider?
Where I live at the moment, my Ex ISP cut off my internet, so I will be forced to call them, so they can tell me that I need to go to their offices and provide more personal information.
They couldn't just call me and ask me to do so.
The next day I was at a new ISP office, their people came the same day, took the cable from my Ex ISP box, plugged it to their box, and I switched ISPs in one day.

nobody said it was perfect  - nothing ever is - but i cannot fault my service with them - simple fact.

Toon wrote:

nobody said it was perfect  - nothing ever is - but i cannot fault my service with them - simple fact.

Same here, I found GO even worse!!

Terry

tearnet wrote:
Toon wrote:

Terry

i concur Terry

Would it be beneficial for the forum's community if I write a simple guide for diagnosing connection problems?

I don't think there is a "connection problem" if you exceed the download allowance.

Melita are just operating within the terms and conditions, they may not be to your liking but this is Malta and choice is limited!

Terry

tearnet wrote:

I don't think there is a "connection problem" if you exceed the download allowance.

Melita are just operating within the terms and conditions, they may not be to your liking but this is Malta and choice is limited!

Terry

Subject closed for me

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment
tearnet wrote:

Terry

Yes, I'm sorry, my question was more in general. I will not make such a guide.
I just think that when they say "Unlimited downloads" they should provide "Unlimited downloads" or simply not use that word.
I don't know how much choice there is in Malta, but I'm learning about it here :)
My guide idea came to me when I heard you guys mention another provider, which you say is even worst.
No need to get upset about it I think?!

Darlin wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

Since you don't "Think" then better not to comment until you are sure. The email received from Melita and posted in the beginning of the thread shows clearly how your are reading the forum posts.
thanks for your high quality contributions.
Subject closed for me

My pleasure, glad to have been of assistance. by  :thanks:

Deithrian wrote:

I just think that when they say "Unlimited downloads" they should provide "Unlimited downloads" or simply not use that word.
I don't know how much choice there is in Malta, but I'm learning about it here :)
My guide idea came to me when I heard you guys mention another provider, which you say is even worst.

Thanks Deithrian for your contribution and suggestion about the guide, this could have made some people smarter, but definitely they are just interested in bumping up their posts count  ;)

Darlin wrote:

but definitely they are just interested in bumping up their posts count  ;)

Please Darlin, everyone has a different opinion, there's no need to offend each other.
Could you please apologize to tearnet?

I'll make a new thread with a basic guide, for the curious, and let the admins decide if they want to keep it or not.

there is as far as i can see no need to even concern admins - place the guide nobody is stopping you...
admins sure wont stop a guide but they will stop an insulting post...

Darlin wrote:
Deithrian wrote:

Thanks Deithrian for your contribution and suggestion about the guide, this could have made some people smarter, but definitely they are just interested in bumping up their posts count  ;)

as a person who has not been about the blog for very long and making a post in such a manner you make a  disgraceful comment... Tearnet made a simple observation and comment - and I for one concur and support it.

Post count? what are you on about - these guys have been helping people here for a long long time thats a disgraceful statement....

Toon wrote:
tearnet wrote:
Toon wrote:

Terry

i concur Terry

amen to that, I've had melita since march last year, I have had no problems or issues, other than getting my deposit back into my account as a credit.

all providers in the UK also have a fair usage policy. it is designed to stop spammers and most people never fall foul of it. I upload to twitter on a daily basis and have no issues.

Darlin wrote:

Subject closed for me

As the initiator says that the topic is closed for him, i am also closing this topic.

Also note that it would be best if we can use the forum's space to launch topics on Expatriation itself.

Thanks and regards

Priscilla
Expat.com team

[ Topic closed ]

Closed