How much will be enough in order to lead a middle class lifestyle?

Hi! I am in the U.S. And I am considering to move to Malaysia. My husband and I have a transportation logistics company and we will be traveling to take a look at Malaysia. Here is the deal I will stay in Malaysia while he come back to the U.S. To finish the business and get more money in order to open a new office in Malaysia. We have a son he is 7 yrs old and I will like to know how much will be enough to we live in a middle class lifestyle and also which international schools are affordable. another question is I am an entrepreneur and I'm certified as transportation broker did paralegal associates degree in the U.S. Speak English and Spanish fluently it will be possible with my level of education I find a job entry level just to occupy myself and make some extra money?

Hi BekM,

In order to give much more light to your query, i have created a new thread with your post on the Kuala Lumpur forum.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

The first step will be to understand that a 100% owned Sdn Bhd company requires the payment of RM1 million into the corporate bank account before employment passes and licences will be considered. There are also some types of business activities that cannot be set up by foreigners.

This thread explains some school fees https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=477590

Most "international" schools are called that because they offer a curriculum from another country, often alongside the local one. It does not necessarily mean internationally-trained teachers.

COL can vary depending on budget and schooling costs. You should work on RM3.5k for housing in an expat area and living costs (food and utilities) of about RM2k.

One member has written a very good description https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=478041

Its cheaper to live further away from KL city in the Klang Valley. Commercial property rentals are also lower.

This thread and the biz website mentioned explains some of the problems involved in setting up in Malaysia

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472062

Middle class life styles. School fees 4k to 8k per month. Yes that will get you an MBA in USA deal with it!!! expat education is expensive.

ISKL or Mont Kiara are the two "American" schools and basically they are the high end.

Assuming you value your child's education that is 8k per month. Rent for a decent place 5-8k. General food/bills etc say 5k for decent lifestyle. Car 2k (well you will prob buy one but that is 250k RM min for something decent. 500k RM for a real car).

Middle class is a hard thing to define in Malaysia but parents pay these school fees, give their kids 4-5k RM pocket money, have 2 x 500K mercs and a 3 million RM house. You do the Math on what they earn! They don't earn 7k. To pay for all that you need 30k plus a month. Usually a lot more.

Of course that is UK style middle class in USA that means working class in UK but even so I know for a fact 15 years ago a bank supervisor or AVP earnt 12-15k a month. IT project manager 25k a month. IT seems to have dived to say the least (!) These people had both adults working and side businesses like shops (they got cheap and soft loans). Head of Credit guy had 12 bungalows a fleet of mercs on that salary lol. Well like Al Capone his wife was good with budgeting ;)

"Undeclared" income is high in Malaysia making official salary stats rather odd!

If you think it all sounds high compared to USA yes it is! USA outside of Manhattan is cheaper.

@Nemodot, that probably sums things up back home. I cringe at the thought of having to go back to MY.

An important point to clarify would be whether you can set up the type of business intended as a 100% foreign owned entity

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/type-of- … -malaysia/

According to these rules freight movement, storage and warehousing activities are not permitted, nor are hiring of vehicles and equipment etc.

I think kl's standard of living with your requirement of sending your kids to international school, RM15,000.00 should be minimum for a family of 3