Relocating to San Juan area in July

Hello everyone,

I am a long time reader to the PR forun. I have sat on the sidelines for months reading the questions and advice given in the forums. My relocation is quicklyapproaching so now it's my turn to ask the community a few questions.

Some background information for those who will respond. I want to give you as much info as possible so you will not have to make many assumptions when responding.

I plan to live on the island for the next 4 to 6 years. Renting is preferred eve if i stay longer. I will make between 110k to 130k a year there and expect modest salary growth as well.

I am married with a child 6 years old, we intend to send him to a private English school. Thinking of Baldwin School or Wesleyan academy (I studied at an Wesleyan school also), my wife is a homemaker and I don't expect her to seek full time employment,  but eventually I believe she will either volunteer or find a part time job to keep busy. We do not speak Spanish but have started self study daily 1 to 2 hours to build up a basic rudimentary level before our arrival.

My office will be in Carolina, which suggests living in the same area would be the most practical option but my wife prefers to live closer to the schoool. The Baldwin school is located in Guaynabo. We desire her commute to and from the kid's school to be less hectic than my work commute.

We will be looking for a 3-4 bedroom 2+ bath house for rent (want a garage). I would prefer to live within 5 to 10 mins walk to the beach, have a little backyard for grilling out, and located in a gated community.

What should expect to pay per month to rent such a place? I don't want to spend more than 1200 a month on rent.

Are there any communities or towns you would recommend given my preferences that are 30 minutes drive from Carolina? In the states, I head to work before 6am to beat traffic and would continue the practice In PR..

Thank you ahead of time for your replies.

Welcome to the forum!
I don't think you can have everything that you'd like. For your wife to have an easy commute to either one of the schools you can't live on a walking distance to the beach. If you're willing to give up on being close to the beach you can find a nice place that could fit the rest of your requirements. There are some nice gated communities in the area where the Baldwin school is, actually one of my daughters owns a house there.
Another area you may want to look at is Trujillo Alto. That's located sort of in between Carolina and Guaynabo. If you would decide to go for the Wesleyan academy that would be an easy commute for your wife and you wouldn't be too far from Carolina either.

Since you're in a hurry I'd suggest to find a realtor soon.

Or you could look at Robinson or St Johns, since you can live walking distance to the beach.