Wanting to check out Bulgaria in September 2015

Hello Everyone
My name is Beth. I am from the U.S Fort Lauderdale Florida. Yes...a beautiful place to live. I have a home 2 miles from the beach. I owned my own real estate and development company for 20 years. In Dec 2010 I moved to Cuenca Ecuador which is where I am living now with my two daughters and have short term rentals that I rent out to expats and I own a small cafe'. They will be leaving me this summer and on there own now. My heritage is Danish. I have a dream of always wanting to travel in Europe and I see Bulgaria as a good starting place and maybe a place to put my roots down. I love the country and was thinking of Ruse, I love wine as well.:). I see the prices to purchase real estate and think it is to good to be true. I would love to meet some friends and chat with them a bit about the places to live in Bulgaria and possibly meet up when I come.If anyone is interested in doing a house swap let me know. I will also need a translator or facilitator when I arrive.

Hi Beth,

With my husband we live in Varna. We are both lawyers, my husband from Holland. Yes the prices on the real estate very low. Depends of course what are you searching for) Apartments easy way , you don't need to do anything but if you want to buy a house with a plot of land , then you need open a firm, and only after this you can be owner of the land.
I have many friends here who can help you....a lawyer and real estate agent! I can help you with translation!

If you interesting you can contact me by email: [email protected]

Have a nice day,

Catherine

Thank You Catherine for your response. As the time passes and my trip is not far away I will be looking for help. I lived in Cuenca Ecuador for 5 years and when I arrived it was so new to me but I have adjusted now. I need to find out about visas and being a U.S citizen how this works. it was easy in Ecuador. Most of all I can't wait to come and visit.

Hi Beth,

U.S. citizens are authorized to stay in Bulgaria for a total of 90 days within any six-month period without a Bulgarian visa. This law is strictly enforced. You can file an application to extend your stay beyond the original 90 days for urgent or humanitarian reasons, but the application must be submitted to regional police authorities no later than five days prior to the end of the original 90-day period. Travelers who have been in the country for 90 days and then leave will not be able to re-enter Bulgaria before the six-month period expires. Please plan and apply for your visa early. Upon entering the country, Bulgarian immigration authorities request that all foreigners declare the purpose of their visit and provide their intended address.

Thank you for the information. It is like that in Ecuador 90 days then you can get another 90 days. I am a resident now of Ecuador. I will have to check out how you can get a visa or residency if I decide to make the move. Here you can invest 25,000 put it in the bank make 8% on your money or a professional visa or pensioners visa but I am 50 not 65.

Hey Beth, welcome to the forum :)  come and visit Bulgaria before you even look at real estate, the climate here is very different than FL and Ecuador. Coming from SD myself two years later I still haven't adjusted and I don't think I ever will. As far as real estate goes I used to do that for over 5 years in San Diego and I still do it on some level and again things here are very very different. If you are coming in September you will still be able to catch the end of the summer season so you should definitely go to the coast while it's still warm. Summer months are the best part of being in Bulgaria.

I believe the investment requirements in Bulgaria are 125,000 euro or the creation of a company that creates at least 10 jobs.

All of my direct experience has been with getting permission through marriage... so that is probably not helpful.

However, if you come and like it here, it is worth talking to an immigration lawyer, because there seems to be a list of ways you can get your 'd' visa--- including working as a freelancer.

Hi Beth,
I note that you want to see Europe, well Europe has many diverse cultures which I feel you should explore before making  your mind up where you want to settle. Bulgaria is beautiful but so is much of Europe, it depends on the life style you want. If you are hoping to start a business in Bulgaria I believe the competition is tough. We have a house in Bulgaria which is in the mountains we've owned it for almost 10 years and love it but, it wasn't cheap we bought the land and then had a new house built on it. We did have to set up a company to do this but I believe this law has changed for Europeans but I don't know about for you. It is certainly much cheaper for food wine and beer than it is for us coming from Northumberland in England. We do spend a lot of time in our home in the mountains and have thought of moving there but at the moment we enjoy the best of both worlds. Do some exploring and consider where you want to be .
I hope this is of some help

Best wishes Sylvia

Hi Beth,
Welcome to the forum,
Like yuill family said, I advice you to visit Europe including Bulgaria of course to find what you really like and if you still want to live in Bulgaria then my advice is to travel in the country to find the place for you, the climate and landscape is different from one place to the other, I lived in CA and went to Florida for a bit and I think if it's the same climate you want then travel in the South Coast but before you buy stay at least a month in the same place then make your decision<
But I have to say that Ruse is beautiful and there is a lot to do there but colder than Florida that's for sure.
Good Luck
Sihemt

Hello Beth!
Great idea you having, make a living in Bulgaria.
I am having a Danish background as well and I have now lived Bulgaria 2 years.
Agree to the others who replied you. Try a stay here some months before decide
a evt. trade of property. The variety of Bulgaria quite huge and something can be
found every taste. Ruse my opinion not a bad choise. Fertile land excellent for grow
wine.
If you still got Danish passport I may think establish a Bulgarian company not required.

Good luck
Gert

Hello
Thank you for the email and information. I am from the United States with a U.S passport. My heritage is Danish so I don't have a Danish Passport. I want to come in September. I am currently in South America. Are there any Americans there? I have to find out the time I can stay on a U.S passport. I love good wine and good food so I think I will enjoy Ruse, but also like the warmer climate. I hope to meet some people before i arrive.

You can come to our area, the Climat is great. As I lived in CA, I wanted the same climat and I can tell I found here close to Burgas. :)

Thank you for your reply
I see you are very well traveled. That is great. I lived in Florida. I will look up Burgas. Thank you for the information.

As mentioned above, Americans are allowed to stay 90 days every 6 months on an American passport, unless you get a D-visa.

Thank you for the information I will look into the D Visa or talk to an attorney.

Hi Beth,,I moved to Bulgaria 2 months ago from UK,,i initialy had a 2 week visit last September for 2 weeks,looked at Varna & Veliko Tarnovo,,i fell in love with Veliko Tarnovo,,amazing place,very cosmopolitan,,culture,history & modern,,I bought a fantastic home in Vinograd which i am updating with a local builder,,i love it here,,so cheap to live,,I applied and recieved a 5 year Residential Visa 2 weeks ago,,legal requirements are,,1 you own property 2 you have health ins(cheap),,3 you have sufficient funds to live here(min wage in BG)or a job,,,,all very affordable...you will not regret moving to BG,,,but make sure you choose secure area,,support from friends in BG,,and a good Advocat to guide you,,Hoping this helps you,,, :) eddie

Hi Eddie what a coincidence I have just bought a house in Vinograd and i'am coming out early September (can't come any earlier because of commitments) to sort out the formalities and see what needs doing as I won it at auction and I've not even seen it yet but it looks okay from the recent pictures, if you could give me any information about the village it would be very helpful ithings like amenities shops,bars,bus services,and things like that also if there are any other Brits who live there, looks like I will definitely be looking for a good builder as a new bathroom will have to be my first priority so if you could help me with any information it would be very grateful thanks.
Roy 😃👍

Hi Roy,,Thanks for email,,yes anything i can help you with,no problem,,If you let know address of house you bought,i could look it over for you with a local friend who is working on my place at moment,,I moved here end of March,and its been peacefull,,no problems,,majority of local people are welcoming,,the Mayor of village is a ex policeman,,so zero tolerance,,Village as 2 shops for basic stuff,,a Post Office,,a Bar,,School,,Church,,limited bus service,so you need a car for real shopping,food,goods etc,,there are a few expats in village on hand for any guidance & help,,,it is very very very rural here,nothing like UK,,,Very cheap to live here compared to rip off UK,,ie food,bills,car,,rail & bus & taxi fares,,,Have you been here before??,,Veliko Tarnovo is 50min car drive away,,amazing place,,mixture of historic & modern places to enjoy & very cosmopolitan,,,,20 mins away Polski Trambesh town for shopping,,,i hav,nt been here long,but never going back to live in UK,,,anyway any help,just email me OK,,,Regards Eddie

Beatiful Cuenca.

My current residence is now Guayaquil although I´ve live in U.S.A. and Brazil.   A bit of time also somewhere north Africa.   Being an Equadorean single man, I guess I will no longer move somewhere else.    I see with a sort of interest your background in real-state investments.    Up to your kind convenience, I would most like to receive any comments on this particular prospective.     Caused by latest custom regulations now enhancing traditional import procedures difficulties in this country, new surveys are being considered by me for the near future.      My address [email protected]

Hi Eddie Just asked who I bought the house off for the street address and got told there are no street addresses in most villages and post is collected and delivered from the post office so if your house has got an address I'am sure that mine would have as well very strange, I bought it from investment link ( Bulgaria direct ) and they have excellent feedback, I also don't drive so that could be a problem I will have to use the local transport or get a taxi but as you say it's cheap, and no I have not been to Bulgaria before but I'am looking forward to coming and see what needs doing to the house plenty I would imagine but it looks sound from the photos and can't believe I won it for the price I did so no regrets, bet the weather is beautiful at the moment but I hear everybody hibernates in the winter because it can get very cold,  think I will be back and forth at first then hopefully one day move permanently and thanks again for your advice it's much appreciated Roy.

Hi Roy,,,Every house in Bulgaria has an address,,they have to!! for taxes & bills to be paid,,yes you collect mail from post office which has your name & address on it,,,no one can buy or sell a house without a legal address,,so get address off company,,i will check house out for you,to see if all well,,,,Have you photo,s to send me??,,,my email address is [email protected],,,,ok,,,eddie,,,,how much was house?,,bought mine for £6,500

eddieg is right, every single street in Bulgaria has a name the only problem is that when they change the name of the street, they forget to change it in the village, had few adventures helping people who had the wrong name on the notary act.

Hi Roy,,any luck with address of property in Vinograd,,eddie

Hi Eddie
I will send you there reply by the email aderess you gave me, they seem to know what they are doing and they have very good feedback, i've told them I will wait until I get over there to sort out the formalities then it will be easier to ask questions. I won the house in auction and only paid £2805 it looks a very good bargain as there's been many more going for a lot more money but don't look as good, and to tell you the truth I did not expect to win it at that price.

Donno about Ruse but I will tell you about Plovdiv my home town. It is gorgeous, and will be European Capital of Culture in 2019. I have a posh apartment there in the Maritza Gardens gated community which provides access to pristine wild places around the nearby River Maritza. Excellent restaurants like Happy, Sofra, Sultania, Antik, Gusto, etc etc. Excellent hotels like Novotel and Tromonsium. Gorgeous old town and main street.

But the greatest wild secret in Bulgaria is the Bulgarian village. I own a home in the village of Trankovo and you can view my photos on my website bonka.bg, they speak for themselves....

You have to have a local trusted connection so as not to be taken for a ride by some dishonest people.

rami

Hi Roy,,How are you? Been so busy with DIY ha ha,,i enjoy..What date are coming over?,,will meet you for coffee & chat,hey!!,,introduce you to a local builder Marco..he is trustworthy,,cheap ,,let me know buddy,ok,,,,eddie

Hi Roy,,,Have you arrived here yet???,,,regards eddie