Buying a Used Bike - Honda CB650 1980

Guys,

I have my eyes set on an old bike, a Honda CB650 1980 model, there are a few issues. Firstly, its really old and looks beaten up but it starts and 'smokes' as well! And the price keeps going up, 100M 2 weeks ago and 120M yesterday  :D

How do I transfer the ownership to my name? I would like to take it back with me once I decide to leave.

Thanks.

Regards
Mike

Walk away Mike, 5500usd for a 35 year old bike is nuts, I dont even think they were that much new.

I'm not going to pay 120M for it, that's for sure...more likely offer him 40M, let's see how it goes.

Regards
MikeFF

MikeFF wrote:

Guys,

I have my eyes set on an old bike, a Honda CB650 1980 model, there are a few issues. Firstly, its really old and looks beaten up but it starts and 'smokes' as well! And the price keeps going up, 100M 2 weeks ago and 120M yesterday  :D

How do I transfer the ownership to my name? I would like to take it back with me once I decide to leave.

Thanks.

Regards
Mike

" Smokes "?? that's even a worse habit for a m/bike.  ( the oil rings are worn, oil will be going straight through it, it will need an engine rebuild, good luck finding parts for it, you could keep riding it, but the sparkplugs will probably keep fouling, making it also use heaps more fuel and oil, might as well buy a 2 stroke ). Not even worth 2 mil.

I think he means "smokes" as it goes well.

Mike the 40 trieu sounds more like it.

Just checked Mua Ban, 2008 CBR 400cc 120trieu. A bike that is 28 years younger and the same price, the owner is spanking himself.

By smokes I meant...it literally smokes! It does need at least a top rebuild as bluenz says.

The shop owner also said that it would cost another 30M to convert it to a Cafe Racer....he thinks i'm an idiot who is going to pay him 150M in total  :lol:  He may not sell it at 40M, i think I'll just show up with 40M  and see what happens  :D

I'm not into modern bikes with Fuel Injection and hi-tech frame, etc. I like the old technology, turbular frame, carbs, etc. Gives me the opportunity to tinker.

Regards
MikeFF

Well we all have our vices,good luck.

MikeFF wrote:

By smokes I meant...it literally smokes! It does need at least a top rebuild as bluenz says.

The shop owner also said that it would cost another 30M to convert it to a Cafe Racer....he thinks i'm an idiot who is going to pay him 150M in total  :lol:  He may not sell it at 40M, i think I'll just show up with 40M  and see what happens  :D

I'm not into modern bikes with Fuel Injection and hi-tech frame, etc. I like the old technology, turbular frame, carbs, etc. Gives me the opportunity to tinker.

Regards
MikeFF

When we do rings we usually do bearings as well, crank grind, cylinder hone, etc, can all mount up, providing you can still get rings and bearing shells, gaskets, etc, for it, I would imagine it would be hard enough in the real world, let alone VN, but worse case scenario would be a complete engine/gearbox transfer, I've seen those Hyo Sung, or Li Feng motors in bikes here, as power upgrades.

bluenz,

Yeah, I understand work involved....parts for it are still available hence my consideration to purchase it for the long term. The other issues is finding a proper mechanic here in VN...can you recommend anyone?

The plan is to keep it as stock as possible with just enough work to keep it going properly once a while.

I'll do the major works once I get back.

Regards
Mike

MikeFF wrote:

bluenz,

Yeah, I understand work involved....parts for it are still available hence my consideration to purchase it for the long term. The other issues is finding a proper mechanic here in VN...can you recommend anyone?

The plan is to keep it as stock as possible with just enough work to keep it going properly once a while.

I'll do the major works once I get back.

Regards
Mike

Sorry Mike I live 900kms from HCMC and avoid it like the plague.  That's the other problem here, there's plenty of ace Honda Cub mechanic's, but something with more than 1 cylinder might be a challenge for them. In Hanoi there is a Western bloke bike shop owner, ( Steve's Garage?? Craigslist ), not sure if he's a mechanic though.

Get one of your VN friends to contact one of the bike clubs in Saigon, they can put you onto a decent mechanic.

But first you must get the bike down from 120 trieu to 40, good luck with that.