Ream Beach Guesthouse

Hi to all the people of "Expat.com"!

I've been asked to introduce myself.. Well, my name is Marco Pettini, my passport shows that I'm italian and surely I love good wine, "lasagne" and "tiramisu'" but apart from that... Maybe it's because I spent many years overseas, a couple in Saudi Arabia, six in Australia and other six in Papua New Guinea..
The last four years I lived in Cambodia, precisely in Ream (National Park) where  I bought a small guesthouse - Ream Beach Guesthouse - not the property (over half a million dollars!) but just the "business" . I have to say it was the first time in my life to get involved is such an activity ( my background is mostly working in the film industry  as first assistant director - check on Imdb) and therefore mine was a 360 degree experience. Probably some of you reading this "introduction" have been already my guests in a recent past, with many of them I had quite interesting conversations, mostly about the "deep" meaning of what is commonly called "culture differences"..
It 's hard here to "share" with all of you my four years experience in Ream, the approach with the "business" guesthouse,  with the expectations and needs of the guests (coming from every corner of the globe) and most of all with a totally different way of living of the local staff.. If I would be a writer I'm sure I could write a quite interesting book...!

By the end of last april, my lease contract expired. The landlord has decided to renovate the property and therefore to not renew my contract; I had no choice but to move out.

My story with Ream might have reached its natural conclusion, the circle is closed.. Yet I have a feeling I can' t say the same thing for Cambodia. Moreover I'm aware of the wide experience I inevitably got from the whole story and I'm quite confident it may somehow be useful to others.

Anyone looking for a guesthouse/hotel manager...?

Marco

in Nepal foreign guesthouse managers are in high demand if you're willing to relocate.

Many thanks for the tip, yet I rather prefer the tropics...

catererglobal.com/job/11043213/hotel-manager/

I always wanted to stay there but could never fit it in. Half a million, eh? Must have sat on a lot of land or maybe it was just that one & only location coupled with a fantasy price (quite common in Cambodia) 

I hope you will find a good GH in a great environment, Marco.

The price was 1.200.000 $...! Fantasy...?  For sure, ( I can buy a 16th century castle in Italy for that sum..!) but at the same time I wouldn 't be surprise if it eventually get sold to some super rich individual, khmer, chinese, russian or any nationality...

Anyway thanks for your best wishes, which I return....

Marco

TY Marco.

Well, it is a nice spot but come on...

Strongly recommended: "Hun Sen's Cambodia" of Sebastian Strangio
Read it to believe it..!

Will search for the book - thanks, Marco.

BTW, what did you like most about running Ream Beach GH and what did you like least?

Best: the total freedom to run the place my own way and occasionally to meet quite interesting people.
Least: the too-long rainy season and the hypocrisy of - fortunately few - guests..

Cheers!

Thanks, Marco.

You get like 3 m of rain per year on that side of the coast, I think. Kampot gets 2m.

Marco

An interesting post. You should contact Alexei who owns The Plantation / Pavillion & other hotels. Managers who do not Succumb to indigenous business practices are hard to find.

Good luck!

Anna Maria

Dear Anna Maria,

thank you so much for your tip.. Any idea (email address) what's  the best way to contact Mr Akexei..? Do you know him..?

Marco

Marco

I have only met him once and suggest that you Google his name / hotels to understand the number of properties. Then cold call him at The Plantation where he seems to spend most of his time.

Taking the initiative is rare in this country where many locals and expats are work shy.

Good luck!

Anna Maria

I'd try this:

"If you are interested in joining the adventure, or have a project, concept or idea please feel free to contact the owner at ***

Good luck, Marco!

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons please do not post any contacts be it your own or a company.

I've just sent an email to Mr Alexei... Whatever it will be let me thank you so much for your interest and help, really. Marco

:top: