Work Application in Muscat

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully you can help me with some of my confusing queries regarding my job application. I'm a Filipino and I arrived here in Muscat last April 7, 2015. My husband had managed to avail a family visa for me which is valid until June 3, 2015. Within those months I have been through few job interviews, One company had already given me an offer letter which I have accepted but until now I still haven't received my contract. I have submitted my documents and I'm still waiting for updates. THEN thinking that  its taking too long regarding my job application to the first company-- I have managed to score another interview to another company. I have passed the interview and some test and now there asking me to submit my documents for processing without an offer letter. AND now here comes the expiry date of my family visa- I wish to go back to the Philippines for a few weeks before I would start working here in Oman but I'm not sure if its possible that I could still go back here in Oman since until now I haven't received any contract or valid document confirming that I AM EMPLOYED HERE IN OMAN.

MY questions are :

1. How strong is the offer letter with regards in employment? Does it mean I'am HIRED and I just need to wait for processing my working visa in the Philippines?  Do I need to ask for a copy of my offer letter from my employer before I'll go back to the Philippines? What are the documents that I should have submitted to my employer to make the process more convenient. Should I trust the company or just leave it and move on to the other company?

2. What comes first - offer letter or working visa application? Should I take this second option or I should stick with the first company that provided me an offer letter?

Please help me out !! im COnfuse ?? THANK YOU in ADVance =)

Hi anylorac,

First and foremost, you are NOT ON FAMILY JOINING VISA, as you have mentioned.

You are on a Visit Visa, which is valid for just 3-months. You can extend it by another 1-month.

Family Joining Visa is valid for a period of 2-years.

Employment options for expatriate women have been put on hold since the last couple of years, barring some select jobs - mostly related to the service sector.

Let me now cut to the chase. Find my comments against your queries :

1. How strong is the offer letter with regards in employment? Does it mean I'am HIRED and I just need to wait for processing my working visa in the Philippines?  Do I need to ask for a copy of my offer letter from my employer before I'll go back to the Philippines? What are the documents that I should have submitted to my employer to make the process more convenient. Should I trust the company or just leave it and move on to the other company? -Offer Letter means nothing. It is just a piece of paper. For you to get employed, you must first qualify. Do you qualify ?
Secondly, the company that offered you the position must have a formal job clearance from the Ministry of Manpower to appoint you. Many factors come into play here. You must read in the forum, from the many threads for details.

[/b]
2. What comes first - offer letter or working visa application? Should I take this second option or I should stick with the first company that provided me an offer letter?  - Wait until your prospective employer says that they can hire you. Then furnish the required documents. You must also do a medical test in an approved GAMCA clinic and submit your medical reports; attest your educational qualification certificates, etc.

Don't get fooled. Read the many discussions that have happened in the forum and gain as much of information as you possibly can before you take any decisions.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response Mr. Sumitran =)

Yes your are right Sir- Visit Visa only. Regarding the company that gave me an offer letter they told me that I am HIRED. I qualify for the job and they are now on the process with the visa. BUT there has no contract that's been sign or any updates. I think they are having issues with their registration of their company in Ministry.

The second company told me that I am hired all i need to do is provide the documents that i need as well as a N.O.C from my husband's company telling that his company has . - Is that necessary? 

now I'm so confuse ... I was really rooting for the first company that gave me an offer letter but turns out I need to look for other job =(

Hi anylorac,

Once your employment is confirmed, you cannot continue to be on your husband's family joining visa. That would have to get transferred to your sponsor's employment visa.

Yes, in some cases the employer would want a NOC from your husband's employer stating that they do not have any objection to you working.

Most important would be for you to make sure all is done as per the book and that there is no gaps anywhere. Many employers make generous offers, without fulfilling all their obligations. So be careful with the offer, benefits, perks and all else.

Good luck.

Thank you Mr. Sumitran,

Is there any liability from the company who provided the offer letter if they did not follow what is written on the letter? or more of they did not pursue my application?

My visit visa will expire on June so if they are really processing my working visa I will have to wait the visa back in the Philippines in which I think it will be difficult to ask for any updates. I'm worried that by the time Ill be back in the Philippines they will disregard my application?

Hi anylorac,

Well, an offer letter is just that - it is just an offer. The candidate may or may not take it. If satisfied with the contents and if the offer is accepted by the prospective candidate, then the employer / sponsoring company will issue the candidate with a formal appointment order.

While with the offer letter there is nothing binding, on either the giver or the receiver, with the appointment order which is signed and sealed officially by the company, it becomes a legally binding document, contents of which must be satisfactorily met as stated.

A candidate following-up with the prospective employer is really of not much use, since the employer cannot say or do much. It is not within the powers of the employer to give any specific answers, especially if the employer is waiting for the Ministry of Manpower to give them a job clearance. Many factors come into play here. You must read through the discussion threads on the same subject available in the forum for specific details.

hELLO Mr. Sumitran,

I just want to ask you again =) WIll there be any problem if 2 company will be processing working visa for me. You see 2 I have already submitted my requirements to the 2 company which told me that they will be processing my papers. So I'm thinking whatever comes first ?? would that be fine?

THANK YOU =)

Hi anylorac,

Whoever applies for your employment visa second would get their application rejected, since your name would already be on the list of employment visas to be issued.

Obviously the same passport holder cannot be issued with two different employment visas at the same time !