Going to Oman for a border run to renew visa

I need to go to Oman for a border run to renew my visa. I have a rental car... what is required in order to prevent any delays once I get to the border ? Is a letter from the rental car agency necessary ? Proof of insurance for the rental car ? Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Paul

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls

I don't think I ever heard of rental care issues except if you have any overdue charges on it. I'd take all documents with me just in case.

Good luck!

Border run went well. They didn't even look at registration. Went to the Hill post near Al Ain. Actually went for a ride through Oman for a few hours. Looking forward to going to Muscat in the near future.

PaulC821 wrote:

Border run went well. They didn't even look at registration. Went to the Hill post near Al Ain. Actually went for a ride through Oman for a few hours. Looking forward to going to Muscat in the near future.

That's great to know!

Hi Paul

I used to make the run from Dubai to Oman using a rental car on many occasions.  It was only after my 3rd run that I was advised that a rental car wasn't allowed to exit Dubai for any purpose. Even though I knew that I still did the drive - always prepared to act ignorant of such a rule if I was ever questioned.  It was quite simple as long as you remained respectful of the border authorities and the military checkpoint on the way to the border. That was back in 2008 I might add.
As an alternative there are bus runs into Oman as well. The pricing is cheap and it's easy as long as you let your bus guide know you're just doing a visa renewal.  They would usually instruct you to just do the usual exit procedure with everyone else on the bus at the Dubai border and then exit the bus at the Oman border station to get the next Dubai bound bus after paying the entry&exit fee at the Oman station.
at least then you can leave the car close to where you caught the bus and pick it up again after having a nice rest on the ride . I will try and get the bus location for you shortly.

Mike