Calling all teachers moving to Kuwait 2015!

Hi all,

I've created this thread for all teachers moving to Kuwait in the next few months. I thought it'd be nice to exchange experiences and maybe find our future colleagues?

So I'll start, I'm moving in Sept 2015 to teach English in Eqaila.

Hi! I'll be there in August to teach second grade. I'm going to be in Hawalli. I am starting tell people and I am already tired of people asking if I'm scared or worried about my safety. Um, there is violence in the states as well.

LL2626, will you be at ACA? :)

quite a few of the teachersi knew this year and calling it quits, the way i see it is they create opportunities for others to follow in their footsteps then go wherever the globe takes em.

From my previous in educational company, I can say teaching in Kuwait is good. Most of the schools make everything ready for teachers so that they can do their job easily. In the beginning you may face some issues because of the cultural difference.

@Legacy: I won't be at ACA.  Where I'm going, there wasn't much turnover. I'm looking forward to a new experience and I just want to do my best and enjoy the other side of the world for a minute.

Moderated by Gavind 8 years ago
Reason : out of subject

Hi, I'm Stuart, new to the forum. I'm a Primary School teacher starting in September.

Hi Stuart. Nice to meet you.

Hi everyone I'm just completing my 2nd year here - be patient with the paperwork! Anything government related takes a while, accept it and you will be fine. Get your degree certificates and drivers licenses stamped by your embassies and attested before you come if you want to drive. Good luck and enjoy the sunshine :)

Hi, I'll be moving there in August to teach year 1.
Any advice what to pack etc?

Thanks in advance.

Most things are available here to buy - the price depends on the item and some of it is expensive.

Owl-stars wrote:

Hi, I'll be moving there in August to teach year 1.
Any advice what to pack etc?.

@Owl-stars this thread might help

The smile is essential :) good advice

All great advice, thanks 😄

Hi, I'm moving to Kuwait this August with my partner. Teaching either 2nd or 3rd grade. Looking forward to it!

Hi ak299, enjoy your new journey.

Hello everyone! I just received a job offer tomorrow so I will be flying out late August. I will be teaching Secondary Science

Good luck to all of the newbies coming to Kuwait, do make sure that you will be given residency either immediately or after your 100 day probation period as schools are being raided and teachers have to run because they are illegal. Many of them have been deported as well, if something doesn't feel right go with your gut feeling and demand legal status. Beware.

That sounds pretty scary expatchicksinkuwait. Are you are teacher?

expatchicksinkuwait

Thank you for the sound advice, yes your gut feeling is always right.

Hi Dear;
There is not violance here, educate the people who tell u so....not all ARAB countries are savages running naked in the streets with a BOMB around their waists .......

Hi.

I am a teacher in Kuwait. I teach and live in Hawally. I enjoy living in Kuwait. It takes time to settle in and acclimate to the weather, traffic and general culture.

Please make sure your school brings you in on a resendency. Do not come in on a visit visa. The ministry is clamping down on illegal workers.

Fazlin24, I'm moving to Hawally. Would you please share what you like about Kuwait? I could use something positive. No one has really shared anything great about Kuwait. I'd like to think that I will like it there.

Fazlin24, could you kindly elaborate? I am expecting my Work Permit to come through in the next few weeks and I will be granted accommodation for a month at which point I must find my own place. Must I take any course of action to ensure my residency or is this fine?

Hi Ladies;
Fazlin24 :Having a work permit will grant you the residency after (15-45) days MAX you'll have it on your passport, so ur on the right track!!
She meant that sometimes companies or schools send you only a VISIT VISA instead of WORK PERMIT and they tell you that they will change it to normal residency (this was OK 2 years back), now it's almost impossible....
LadyLuck2626 :Well i'll have to be honest, here it's all about making friends ASAP& fill your time with ur favorite hobby but don't expect much as it is a good calm country with no action there (unless u wanna join the under ground party life) so c

Having a work permit will grant you the residency after (15-45) days MAX you'll have it on your passport, so ur on the right track!!
She meant that sometimes companies or schools send you only a VISIT VISA instead of WORK PERMIT and they tell you that they will change it to normal residency (this was OK 2 years back), now it's almost impossible....

Omarb wrote:

Hi Ladies;
Fazlin24 :Having a work permit will grant you the residency after (15-45) days MAX you'll have it on your passport, so ur on the right track!!
LadyLuck2626 :Well i'll have to be honest, here it's all about making friends ASAP& fill your time with ur favorite hobby but don't expect much as it is a good calm country with no action there (unless u wanna join the under ground party life) so c

Where is the underground party life!!!!

Well there are weekly parties that takes places in the locals residences so u have to know someone to invite you there

Ta. I will have to keep my ear to the ground.   ;)

Tootsie57 wrote:
Omarb wrote:

Hi Ladies;

Where is the underground party life!!!!

don't think he's not talking about underground clubs (although they do occasionally pop up, by the time you hear of them, so have the authorities / they don't last long - lol) ... he's talking about house/villa/residence socials, something u have to be plugged into, typically by co-workers (people you trust, and have relationships with) ...

think we're  :offtopic::dumbom::D  lol

Thanks Enigmausly.

I did know. It was a tongue in cheek comment.

Yes off topic as well.

;):top::dumbom:

That's very helpful Omarb, any idea how long it takes to issue a work permit? I've been waiting since the end of April and should be moving to Kuwait by end of August. I suspect that I won't receive anything during Ramadan due to the univeristy being closed?

During Ramadan the University is not closed. Only working hours will be reduced both in the University and the  Labour Ministry. However, work permit can be issued in a week's time, provided documents are in order.

Ray-ind, do you know if they need any documents from me to complete the application? I have been told I need to provide paperwork but I wont be providing it until 2months before my departure as some documents expire ie. Police clearance, medical report. I haven't been told I need to provide these in order for them to request the work permit.

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + please avoid duplicate posting

Hi. Can anyone tell me which season it will be in Kuwait during September? Are women allowed to wear leggings? Where is a nice cheap store with clothing Kuwaiti women wear? I'm waiting for my work permit, will be teaching in Kuwait. Supposed to start tomorrow but have not yet received my work permit.

The season will be scorching till at least November. Lots of clothing stores in Avenues or 360 Mall (reasonably / expensive high quality malls, lots of Arabic and western branded stores), Salmiya and Fahaeel (mixture of good quality to bargain stores at both) depending on your budget. Colleagues and taxis can help direct you. My school puts on a bus for shopping on a weekend for 5 or 6 week till people settle, not sure if that's standard practice for everywhere mind.  You can wear what you like as long as its semi modest, going to be hot in leggings I would guess :) gl

Thank you  :)  feeling excited and nervous

just be patient when anything official takes 3 times as long as you expect :) welcome to q8

to call upon my inner comedian, look at where you are coming, the name of the country is literally, K, U WAIT now!

:dumbom:

I'm here all night folks :P