Close

Just arrived, would like to know what to visit - where to eat?

Hello,  I moved to Ankara last month.  I'm from Japan but also lived in America and Singapore.  I speak Japanese and English, and just started learning Turkish.  Willing to explore this country, so any recommendation of place to visit, tasty food, fun thing to do will be appreciated!

Hi Kanakot,

Like every other country, that list can pretty unending.. I would suggest picking up a city and if you are visiting for a short trip, then search top 10 advice from tripadvisor or some other travel website and let it rip.

Food: Oh, you're a world traveler, eat everything that you lay eyes upon!! = )

Fun things are all specific to the city, so you can enjoy everything from balloon rides in Cappadoccia to scuba diving all across the Turkish shoreline!!

Enjoy your stay and have fun! = )

Zeeshan

kanakot :

Hello,  I moved to Ankara last month.  I'm from Japan but also lived in America and Singapore.  I speak Japanese and English, and just started learning Turkish.  Willing to explore this country, so any recommendation of place to visit, tasty food, fun thing to do will be appreciated!

Also, talking about Ankara, I visited it this December for an office trip. The city seemed to offer very little. But on return,about less than 2 hours drive away I stopped by at Lake Bolu in Abant for dinner. It was snow covered back then, but I am sure it is beautiful in Summer, its worth checking out. 

Also, you are close to Istanbul so you could make weened trips too. Usually, I just get my camera and roam around without specific plan to explore the cities.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask! Good luck!

kanakot :

Hello :)

@kanakot : please note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Ankara forum to help you get better responses.

Some threads in our Leisure and things to do in Ankara may help

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi Kanakot
If you like wine maybe you can visit some wine factory in Kalecik.
If you like baths i offer you Turkish baths in Kızılcahamam.
You should eat döner and Turkish street bagel (simit) and stuffed mussels and sandwich fish. Also, drink ayran or turnip juice (şalgam) with them. Ice cream especially Maraş type.
Nevşehir and Bolu are delightful cities that next to Ankara.
These are the first things coming to mind and I tried to offer you uncommon things.
If you need you can contact me from this forum.
Have a nice trip.

Xeeschan,
Thanks for the reply.   I've traveled around Turkey in the past and went to famous sightseeing places which could be found in travelers' guide book and so.  this time it is not short trip and will be living in Ankara for 2-3 years.

kenjee,
Thanks for the links! will check it out.

fndhnf,
Thanks for information. Wine trip will be an great option!  There seems to be unique grape types in Turkey which I never tasted.  Will search about Kalecik.  As a bread lover, I've eating simit a lot and love it.  Never tried stuffed mussels and turnip juice.  Those could be easily found in lokanta or in stands?

Hi to all again,
Also have a new advice, just remembered, you can visit Hamamönü at the Sıhhıye town. We visited there with some Russian friends and they loved it. An other famous place is A.O.Ç. (aoc.gov.tr) at the town Gazi
And the other advices i made before was easy things to reach. Drinks are sold at everywhere. Döner, stuffed mussels (midye dolma in tr) and icecream are easier to reach all together at the Street Sakarya in the town Kızılay or at the A.O.Ç.
Easily you may check this following link for other advices:
en.m.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Ankara

Its a pleasure for me to introduce my Country.

Glad the comments helped in some way. : )
2, 3 years will give you ample time to explore the whole country. Plus also give you chances to take short trips abroad too... Enjoy the stay.. : )

kanakot :

Xeeschan,
Thanks for the reply.   I've traveled around Turkey in the past and went to famous sightseeing places which could be found in travelers' guide book and so.  this time it is not short trip and will be living in Ankara for 2-3 years.

kenjee,
Thanks for the links! will check it out.

fndhnf,
Thanks for information. Wine trip will be an great option!  There seems to be unique grape types in Turkey which I never tasted.  Will search about Kalecik.  As a bread lover, I've eating simit a lot and love it.  Never tried stuffed mussels and turnip juice.  Those could be easily found in lokanta or in stands?

try the aspava restaurants in Esad. You will love it :)

Hi dear welcome.if you like we can meet up each other. I live in 100.yil.  cankaya. I moved here since August.  I'll be glad to meet you.
You can write me ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 months ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Expatriate health insurance in Ankara

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ankara

Moving to Ankara

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ankara

Travel insurance in Ankara

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ankara

Flights to Ankara

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ankara